A classic treat made festive for the holidays. This might be the perfect version of the childhood dessert.
Merry Christmas Eve! It’s been a long time since I have had a rice krispie treat. And probably longer when I have had a GOOD rice krispie treat. You know the kind where they are too tough, not enough marshmallow, just eh.
It seemed when the craving hit, the universe was just egging me on or maybe it was teasing me? I’m not sure. It seemed once the craving hit, no joke rice krispie treats were everywhere..Pinterest…TV…Ok maybe not everywhere but after one two many pins and commercials I had to make some myself.
Rice Krispie treats are simple right? Melt butter. Add marshmallows. Melt those. Stir in rice krispie treats (do this off the heat please!). Spread into the pan. Here is a little trick for you: spray a piece of saran wrap and use that to press down the treats! And you are done. It has to be one of those fastest and most satisfying desserts.
Here a couple things to make yours even better. First, reserve two cups of miniature marshmallows to stir in the end. That way you get all the ooey gooeyness you want but then by saving some to the end you end with some marshmallows not completely melted. When you finally bite into a treat, you get pockets of marshmallows. Ugh, heaven.
Use a smaller pan. Seriously. Whether its a 8 x 11, or 9 x 9, or 8 x 8 but the smaller you go the thicker they will be, and there is nothing wrong with that!
The original recipe (you know the one I’m talking about) calls for 3 tablespoons butter. I decided what’s better than butter and more of it? So yup these aren’t your diet friendly rice krispie treats whatsoever. Oh well, it’s the holidays right? Diet resolutions come later!
And if you are looking for something to adorn those cookie platters, then look no further. This treat is easy, gluten free for all those that can’t eat wheat, and always a crowd pleaser.
I hope I woke up your craving. Mine has been subsided. Well for now. Now that I have gotten the classic down. I can’t wait to start mixing it up. Do you have any fun ways that you play up this classic recipe? Please share!
- 6 Tbs. butter
- 6 cups rice krispies
- 10 cups marshmallows, divided
- 1/2 tsp salt
- sprinkles, optional
- 1. Lightly spray your pan (I used a 8x11 pan, definitely go smaller not larger if you do) or line with with aluminum foil. Melt butter in a very large (trust me on this) pot on low heat.
- 2. When butter is melted, add in 8 cups of marshmallows. Stir until melted.
- 3. Remove from heat. Stir in remaining 2 cups marshmallows and rice krispie treats. Stir in sprinkles if you so choose.
- 4. Spread in pan (use a piece of saran wrap lightly sprayed with cooking spray) and press into the pan.
- 5. Let sit for 10 minutes (if you can wait that long!) Cut into squares and enjoy.