Oh when I dreamt up this cake (yes I dream in cake people) I never could have dreamed it would be this good. Oh yes, I'm bragging. This salted caramel apple cake is knock your socks off good. Let me break down how ridiculously good it is- two layers of a fresh apple cake with brown sugar and apple pie spice, then covered in cream cheese frosting with homemade salted caramel sauce stirred in. Then yes, to be extra naughty more salted caramel drizzled over and toasted walnuts sprinkled over the top.
A few tips on making this cake:
- Use parchment paper to line the bottom of your cake pan. You can simply trace the bottom of your cake pan onto parchment paper and cut out or buy parchment rounds. Spray the pan first, then place your parchment paper circle down and then spray again. Spraying first keeps the parchment paper in place! A little trick I picked up from working at a bakery 😉 You're welcome.
- Use room temperature ingredients! This is absolutely necessary when it comes to baking. You can speed up the process of softening your butter by cutting it into small cubes and leaving on your counter for about 1 hour. For your eggs, you can bring them to room temperature quick by placing in a bowl of warm water for 10 minutes.
- Measure your batter with a measuring cup to evenly divide the batter between the two pans. I use a 1/2 cup measuring cup. You could eyeball it, but I like to ensure that each cake pan gets equal amounts of batter so they bake evenly.
- Use a cake tester or a wooden toothpick to test if the cake is done. Insert the cake tester into the center of the cake 5 minutes before the timer goes off to test if the cake is done. You should pull out a few crumbs, not moist cake batter.
For the frosting, I made this salted caramel cream cheese frosting. I do recommend you make the salted caramel sauce from scratch. I have included step by step photos for making caramel sauce if you are a tad intimidated by making your own caramel sauce. Just be sure to have a candy thermometer for this process! I've made it a few times and I still use it!
This frosting can be a bit on the soft side due to the cream cheese. Be sure to keep the frosting chilled until you are ready to frost the cake. With other types of frosting, I recommend letting your frosting soften up and bring to room temperature, but with this frosting the colder the better! If you are having a hard time frosting the cake, you can always do one layer of frosting and chill it for 30 minutes before applying a second layer.
If your cake ain't look so purty after you frost it. Just cover it up with more salted caramel sauce and some toasted walnuts. Nobody will care when they take a bite of this cake!
*this post contains affiliate links and will redirect you to Amazon. If you make a purchase, a small fee (that is nothing extra to you!) will go back to this blog and help it to continue to crank out crazy good recipes for you! So thank you in advance!
To Make This Cake You Will Need:
- 2 8x8 round cake pans (I use Fat Daddio's because they have high walls and are very durable)
- Stand mixer or hand mixer (Both of mine are a Kitchenaid)
- Chef's knife and cutting board for the apples
- Liquid Measuring Cup
- Dry measuring cups and measuring spoons
- Cake Tester (or a toothpick works too!)
- Offset spatula
If you are making the caramel sauce from scratch you will also need:
If you like this cake, then let me and leave me a comment! I love hearing from you all! And be sure to follow me on Twitter, Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram! If you make it, snap a photo and include the #bostongirlbakes so I can see it (or pin it!)
Happy baking everyone!
- For the cake:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 3 cups chopped peeled apples (about 4 apples)
- For the frosting:
- 14 ounces butter, softened
- 14 ounces cream cheese, cold
- 2 Tablespoons vanilla
- 6 cups confectioner sugar
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce
- additional caramel for drizzling
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1.Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 3 8-inch round cake pans with baking spray with flour.
- 2 In large bowl, beat butter and sugars with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in vanilla and applesauce. Stir in flour, baking soda, spices and salt. Stir in apples. Spoon into pan.
- 3 Bake 40 to 45 minutes on middle rack of the oven until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan to cooling rack. Cool 10 minutes longer.
- 4. To prepare the frosting: in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment cream the butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes). Add in the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time. Add in the vanilla and caramel sauce and mix until combined. Keep the frosting chilled until ready to use. Use an offset spatula to spread a layer of frosting on top of the first layer. Top with the second layer of cake. Spread frosting around the top and sides. Spread more caramel sauce on top and top with toasted chopped walnuts.
- 5. Keep cake covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days.