This easy caramel icing can be made in about 15 minutes. Use quality butter, pure vanilla extract, and swirl in caramel. Just add a pinch of salt for the perfect icing to be used on just about anything.
I know some people may be over the whole salted caramel thing. Me personally? Nope. Never.
Not gonna happen.
There is something about the whole salty sweet thing. Balancing out those tastebuds and making them oh so happy.
Like in this salted caramel buttercream icing.
This buttercream icing starts off with the best buttercream icing recipe ever. It’s so simple and so crazy good. You will never search for another recipe for buttercream again. I’d put my paycheck on that. I mean it’s from Cook’s Country, so you know it’s gonna be great.
Be sure to use quality unsalted Grade AA Butter (I use Cabot, it’s my preference) but be sure you use at least a quality butter. Cheap generic butter uses more air and water which can result in a less tastier butter. And when it comes to buttercream, all that taste will shine through. Here are 3 quick ways to soften your butter if you are in a pinch for time.
You also want to use pure vanilla extract not that cheap imitation stuff. Because buttercream isn’t baked, that pure vanilla flavor will shine through. Even in this caramel icing.
Once you have the base buttercream made you need to simply turn it into a salted caramel version. You can do this two ways.
The From Scratch Method: You can also make your homemade salted caramel sauce. Here is a step by step photo tutorial for you to master making your own.
Whichever method you choose, swirl some caramel in. Add in a pinch of salt.
Or you could just lick the spatula. I won’t judge.
- 2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter (1 1/2 cups), softened to room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons caramel sauce
- pinch of salt
- Combine the butter and confectioners sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer. Mix on low speed at first, then increase the speed until combined. Add in your heavy cream and vanilla extract, and mix on medium to high speed for 8 minutes until light and creamy. Stir in the caramel and final pinch of salt. If not using immediately, store in a container in the refrigerator until ready to use, mix again until light and fluffy.
- Can be made up to 5 days ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Get My Buttercream Cheatsheet!
Join the community to get the tips, tricks, and simple from scratch recipes so you can start baking delicious desserts today. PLUS I will send you my Buttercream Cheatsheet with 13 ways to flavor your buttercream!