Easy one bowl chocolate cupcakes made with coffee and topped with a mocha frosting. These chocolate mocha cupcakes are chocolate lover’s dream.
There are two things I have to have in my life every day. I need to start my day with a hot cup of coffee. Or seriously don’t talk to me. Don’t make eye contact. Walk quickly away. And the second thing is chocolate. My day has to end with a bit of chocolate in my hands.
So when Gourmesso asked me to create a recipe featuring their new K-cup compatible pods. Of course my brain went to chocolate. And then it went to cupcakes.
I know you love the cupcake recipes on this blog. So I knew a chocolate mocha cupcake would be a surefire hit. What’s not to love right?
I’ve made variations of this chocolate cupcake but this time I decided to swap out the boiling water for the coffee. Coffee and chocolate. No brainer.
How To Make These Easy Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes
This recipe is just so darn easy. #rejoice #doalittledance – Ok I’ll stop with the hashtags. But seriously #easy
You want to start by combining your dry ingredients into a large mixing bowls. For cupcakes that are light and fluffy be sure to measure your flour correctly. All you need to do is whisk your dry ingredients together. See. Easy.
To that you want to add your liquid ingredients. Whole milk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and room temperature eggs. If you forgot to take your eggs out early, just place them in a bowl of warm water for 5-10 minutes. Now after those has been whisked into the dry ingredients. You want to add in a cup of hot coffee.
Here is the beautiful thing about using K-Cups like I did from Gourmesso. No need to brew a whole pot of coffee for just one cup. All I had to do was brew one K-cup. It was the perfect amount. Like I said, do a little dance for these. Coffee will help to really bring out the flavor of the chocolate.
And here is what I love about the Gourmesso K-cups. They are made in compostable K-cups. I can go through a lot of K-cups in a day, week, month. And I always feel a bit guilty and leary about using all those plastic cups. But with the new Gourmesso K-cups they are 100% compostable and don’t come in some sort of package that will just in in a landfill somewhere from now until eternity. They are made from bio-based materials that are environmentally friendly. The pods are made from plant based materials which means they will disintegrate in a compost pile in about 12 weeks. Would you get mad at me if I threw in a #winning? Mmm, ok I won’t on. Moving on. If you want to learn more about Gourmesso, click here.
And that’s it. The cupcake batter is ready. Time to bake! And do some dishes I guess.
How To Make The Mocha Buttercream
No cupcake is complete without a really good buttercream on top. To make this mocha buttercream, I started with the best buttercream icing recipe you will ever find. But hey, if you’re feeling adventurous then mix it up and make a Swiss, Italian, French, German buttercream, or an Ermine (flour) icing. This time I decided to add a bit of coffee to it. Again I just made a quick cup of coffee with the Gourmesso K-cups and then let it cool. You don’t want to be adding hot coffee to your buttercream mixture or it will end up melting your butter. I also added 1/2 cup of cocoa powder to this buttercream so it has both chocolate and coffee in it just like the cupcakes.
If you want more ideas on how to customize your vanilla buttercream, then be sure to download my Buttercream Cheatsheet.
Once your buttercream is made and cupcakes have cooled time to pipe. If you’re new to piping frosting onto cupcakes then be sure to check out my Ultimate Guide To Decorating Cupcakes For Beginners.
For more cupcake help then be sure to check out these posts:
- 15 tips for perfect cupcakes
- 6 reasons why your cupcakes are sinking in the middle
- #1 Must Have Tip For Perfectly Domed Cupcakes
- 6 Cupcake Decorating Supplies You Need To Decorate Like A Pro
For more chocolate cupcake ideas check out these recipes:
- Chocolate Cupcakes With Cake Batter Frosting
- Peppermint Chocolate Cupcakes In A Jar
- Hostess homemade cupcakes
- White Chocolate Peppermint Chocolate Cupcakes
- Milky Way Poke Chocolate Cupcakes
- Chocolate Reese’s Stuffed
- Candy Cane Chocolate cupcakes
For more recipes to use your Gourmesso Keurig compatible K-cups check out these recipes from fellow bloggers:
Easy Tiramisu – Culinary Hill
Mocha Pie with espresso whipped cream – Simple Bites
Mocha Brownies with Coffee Glaze – Cake Whiz
Happy (cupcake) baking!
Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes
For the cupcakes
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot coffee
For the mocha buttercream
- 2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter softened(20 tablespoons)
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coffee cooled
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- Heat oven to 350°F. Prepare two muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil, vanilla extract beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Add hot coffee and stir to combine. (batter will be thin) to the cake batter. Fill each cupcake well about 3/4 cup full of batter.
- Bake for 18-22, rotating pans halfway through baking. Remove cupcakes from pans and allow to cool on a wire rack. Cool completely. Repeat with the additional cupcake batter (about 6 additional cupcakes)
- For the frosting combine the butter and powdered sugar and mix on low, then increase the speed for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add in your cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and coffee. Beat on medium-high for 8 minutes.
- With a pastry bag and tip attached, pipe the frosting on each cupcake. Decorate with sprinkles. Store at room temperature for up to 2 days. Refrigerate for up to 3 days, just bring back to room temperature before serving.
Get My Buttercream Cheatsheet!
Join the community to get the tips, tricks, and simple from scratch recipes so you can start baking delicious desserts today. PLUS I will send you my Buttercream Cheatsheet with 13 ways to flavor your buttercream!