Get ready for the big game with these Football (Superbowl) cupcakes- I used vanilla cupcakes and a vanilla buttercream, but you could mix it up anyway you want. Top each one with an easy chocolate football on top for a treat that anyone will enjoy. No matter who plays or wins!
This post contains affiliate links. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
Living in the Boston area, you can imagine that Superbowl time is a pretty important time of year.
Me? Well I show up for the food. And the commercials. Who’s with me on that one?
And when it comes to a Superbowl party, I am known for bringing dessert of course. Raise your hand if you’re shocked. Hmm, no hands in the air.
Like these football shaped Oreo truffles. So this time I wanted to do football cupcakes. I mean why not right?
The best part of these is you could really use any cupcake you want. Any buttercream you want. I stuck with my vanilla cupcakes and perfect vanilla buttercream. But hey make chocolate cupcakes. Peanut butter. Peanut butter, even! Why, the heck not.
I colored my buttercream using the Wilton Color Right System. It was the perfect thing to create the exact green I was going for. Turf green. Is that a thing? Hey Crayola, you listening. I think I just created the next crayon color.
Of course these cupcakes wouldn’t be cupcakes meant for the Superbowl without those cute little chocolate footballs on top. So I scoured the shelves high and low for this football candy mold. Ok, that’s a lie. I scoured Amazon. And struck gold with this mold that’s around $5.
To make the chocolate footballs, I simply melted some semi-sweet chocolate chips with a bit of shortening until melted and smooth. And that’s it! I simply spooned it into my molds.
Pro Tip: Pick up the mold and slap it down on the counter to get any air bubbles out.
I let them harden in the freezer for a few minutes. When you take them out, just flip them over and they will just pop right.
If you’re new to make cupcakes here are a few posts to help you out:
- 15 tips for perfect cupcakes
- Ultimate Guide To Decorating Cupcakes For Beginners
- Ultimate Guide To Making The Best Buttercream Icing
- 6 Reasons Why Your Cupcakes Are Sinking In The Middle
- 6 Cupcake Decorating Supplies You Need To Decorate Like A Pro
So wherever you live. Whoever you’re rooting for. Make these cupcakes. At least you know one thing will be a winner that day.
To Make These Football (Superbowl) Cupcakes You Will Need:
- Cupcake Liners
- Cupcake pans – I love these ones from Wilton
- Wilton Color Right System (you could also just use a green food coloring if you have it of course)
- football candy mold
- Rest of your measuring tools: dry measuring cups, measuring spoons, liquid measuring cup and mixing bowls.
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- In a microwaveable bowl, combine the chips and shortening. Microwave for 30 seconds and then stir.
- Continue to heat in 30 second intervals and stirring in between each interval until melted.
- Then pour into the mold. Give the mold a tap on the counter to release air bubbles.
Get My Buttercream Cheatsheet!
Join the community to get the tips, tricks, and simple from scratch recipes so you can start baking delicious desserts today. PLUS I will send you my Buttercream Cheatsheet with 13 ways to flavor your buttercream!