This post contains affiliate links, to find out more information, please read my disclaimer policy-https://www.bostongirlbakes.com/disclosure-policy/..
Learn different ways to decorate cupcakes! From candy to fondant, this post will give you 9 easy cupcake decorating ideas to make your cupcakes look beautiful in no time!
This post contains affiliate links. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
When it comes to decorating cupcakes, you can get as fancy as you want or just keep it simple sweetheart.
I’m all for the simple so I rounded up 9 easy cupcake decorating ideas so they look like a professional made them!
Here are 9 Easy Cupcake Decorating Ideas:
- Sprinkles – I know this one is pretty obvious. But I sometimes all you need is a little sprinkle to make your cupcakes come alive. They now make sprinkles now in all sorts of colors and for every season you could ever want. These are my favorite sprinkles. I just love the big confetti sprinkles.
Wilton also makes sprinkles for every occasion. I usually buy them on Amazon, but you could also pick up them up at your local craft store like Michael’s. Sometimes I wait until a holiday is over or close to it, when they are super discounted and stock up!
Of course, there is nothing wrong with just topping with a few chocolate chips if you’re in a pinch for time!
3. Fondant – For special occasion I love using fondant and creating fondant flowers to top my cupcakes with like with my perfect vanilla cupcakes. They are so pretty and simple.
You can use these fondant molds to make quick flowers and just place a simple pearl sprinkle in the middle. If you are short on time, you could also get pre-made flower icing decorations like these ones from Wilton.
4. Buttercream Flowers – You can pipe flowers directly onto the cupcakes or use Russian tips if you’re not too confident in your piping skills. But when your cupcakes look like a beautiful bouquet you don’t need anything else!
You can read my full tutorial on using Russian tips here (includes a video too!)
5. Cake Crumbs– One of my favorite and easy (and free!) ways to decorate a cupcake is to simply crumble one cupcake into crumbs and sprinkle some on top like with these easy one bowl red velvet cupcakes.
6. Natural Garnishes – Basically anything that is going to complement the cupcake flavor. Like these banana chips for my banana cupcakes with cinnamon brown sugar buttercream or berries on these lemon mixed berry cupcakes.
Get creative! You could use toasted nuts, coconut, citrus zest.- really anything natural that really tells you what the cupcake flavor is and highlights it.
7. Candy – Of course this should be a no brainer too if you ask me. Here are a few ways I’ve used candy to top my cupcakes:
Don’t feel like you have to use a homemade dessert sauce or jam. You can use a store-bought version like the jelly for these peanut butter and jelly cupcakes.
9. Cookies or other treats – I mean what’s better than a cupcake? A cupcake with a cookie on top is what’s better. You can use a chocolate chip cookie, oreo or how about a Rice Krispie Treat?
So there you go 9 ways to decorate a cupcake! I hope you found this post inspiring for your next cupcake recipe!
For more help in baking and decorating cupcakes check out these posts:
- 15 tips for perfect cupcakes
- 6 reasons why your cupcakes are sinking in the middle
- #1 Must Have Tip For Perfectly Domed Cupcakes
- 6 Cupcake Decorating Supplies You Need To Decorate Like A Pro
- Ultimate Guide To Decorating Cupcakes For Beginners.
- Ultimate Guide To Making The Best Buttercream Icing
- Ultimate Guide To Baking Cupcakes At Home
If you loved these 9 cupcake decorating ideas then be sure to leave me a comment and rating below! And until next time, happy Baking!
Get My Buttercream Cheatsheet!
Join the community to get the tips, tricks, and simple from scratch recipes so you can start baking delicious desserts today. PLUS I will send you my Buttercream Cheatsheet with 13 ways to flavor your buttercream!