This Post May Contain Affiliate Links. Please Read Our Disclosure Policy.
Since Easter is coming up I thought what a perfect time to make carrot cake! So for this month’s baking challenge we are making my super easy carrot cake!
But this month, since Easter brunch will be happening I thought let’s make a classic carrot layer cake with cream cheese frosting.
What is the April Baking Challenge?
It’s a chance for you to test drive one of my recipes, take a picture (it doesn’t have to be pretty!), post a picture in my Facebook group, and enter to win a prize!
I find it is so helpful for me to see how my recipes turn out for you and to hear about what changes you made or would make. I love the great feedback and know how to make my recipes even better, and you get a chance to win!
How To Join The Baking Challenge:
- Recipe: Make my easy Carrot Layer Cake (No Nuts!) recipe, or you could make these other version – Easy Carrot Sheet Cake, Easy Carrot Cake From Scratch (made in one bowl!), or even some Carrot Cupcakes! Not up for making a cake? Try these Carrot Cake Oatmeal Cookies instead!
- Bake. Bake up one of the carrot cake recipes above.
- Share. Take a photo and share in my Facebook group OR send a photo to me via e-mail: [email protected]. For a second entry, leave a review on the recipe you made. (NOT on this post!)
For April 2022, I’m giving away A $75 USD Amazon gift card — so you can treat yourself to whatever your heart desires!
Rules and regulations:
Giveaway is open to any residents over the age of majority in their country of residence. Giveaway is open from the time of posting until April 30, 2022 at 11:59 pm EST.
Winner will be selected at random and notified within 72 hours of the contest ending. Facebook winner will be notified by a comment and tag. Winner must respond within 48 hours of initial comment by direct message or a new winner will be chosen.
Giveaway is sponsored by The Boston Girl Bakes and is in no way associated with Facebook, Paypal or Amazon and you release Facebook of all responsibility.
The prize will be sent by email directly from Amazon. The Boston Girl Bakes is not responsible for defective products or missed delivery.
If you have any questions about how this is going down, shoot me an email or leave me a comment on this post and I will respond as quickly as possible!
Carrot Layer Cake
For the cake:
- 2 1/2 cups (300 g) all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound shredded carrots (about 6 to 7 medium carrots)
- 1 1/2 cups (300 g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (107 g) packed light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) vegetable oil
For The Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup (2 sticks, 226 g) unsalted butter softened
- 16 ounces cream cheese softened
- 5 cups (568 grams) confectioners (icing) sugar
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Prepare pans and oven. Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 350°F (177°C). Grease two 8 or 9-inch round pans) with nonstick cooking spray (or butter) and line with parchment paper on the bottom. Grease the parchment paper.
- Combine dry ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in large bowl; set aside.
- Grate carrots. Grate 6-7 medium carrots by hand. (if using food processor, use a large hole grater so it doesn't turn the carrots to mush). Set aside.
- Combine wet ingredients. In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, eggs, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until evenly combined.
- Add dry ingredients. Stir in dry ingredients, with a spatula, just until no flour remains. Do not overmix. Fold in the carrots.
- Bake. Divide the batter into prepared pans and bake until toothpick or skewer inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 35 to 40 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking time. Remove from the oven and allow to cool the cakes in the pan for about 10 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack to continue cooling to room temperature in pan on wire rack, about 2 hours.
- Make the cream cheese frosting. In a stand mixer with paddle attachment, or use a hand mixer in a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and cream cheese until smooth and creamy. Add in the powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, and beat to combine. Add in vanilla extract and beat to combine. Frost the cooled cake or store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Storage/Make ahead: If it’s unfrosted, you can keep this cake on the counter for 2-3 days. Just make its covered. I like to wrap my layers in plastic wrap. If it’s frosted, then you should store in the fridge because of the cream cheese frosting. It should keep if it covered for 5-6 days as well, making this a great make ahead dessert for Easter!
- Freezing: Yes you can freeze the cake, or slices of it that are leftover, for up to 3 months. Wrap each piece of cake separately and then wrap again in tinfoil or place in a plastic bag. When ready to enjoy, let thaw overnight in the fridge and then unwrap and enjoy.