This post contains affiliate links, to find out more information, please read my disclaimer policy-https://www.bostongirlbakes.com/disclosure-policy/..
A bar that is cinch to make because it starts with a cake mix. Layered with both speculoos and nutella that will surely make these disappear off the table at your next get together.
As much as I love to bake, sometimes you just need a dessert that is super fast to make. Now I’m not one to use boxed cake mixes, but for whatever reason, this box of cake mix has been hanging out at the top of my cupboard for quite some time. No idea what it’s original purpose was. Oh well. It’s lot in life was to become the base for this super fast and insanely delicious bars.
I adopted the recipe from a Betty Crocker recipe. All you need to do is combine the cake mix with one egg and melted butter. I melted the butter to give the bar a great moist crumb. Then press the crumb down in your pan, reserving 1/2 cup to 1 cup of the cake mixture to crumble on top. Bake for 12 minutes, then spread a layer of speculoos (cookie butter) and nutella on top. I know, both. Then crumble the remaining cake mix mixture over it. How positively evil of me. How positively delicious.
If you are unfamiliar with speculoos (or cookie butter), it is a European concoction of a spiced graham cracker like cookie that has been churned into a peanut butter like form. I recently had the opportunity to visit Amsterdam and Brussels and while I was there had to snag a bottle of the infamous speculoos from Maison Dandoy. Oh heaven.
And if I wasn’t evil enough I also sprinkled in some chocolate chips for good measure. I mean you can’t have too much chocolate right? I didn”t think so.
Enjoy everyone 🙂
Easy Speculoos and Nutella Bars
- 1 French vanilla box cake mix
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup speculoos
- 1/2 cup nutella
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1. Prepare 9x9 baking dish with spray and parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, mix 1 Tbs. of cake mix with speculoos and set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, mix the remaining cake mix, egg, and melted butter until crumbly.
- 3. Reserve about 1 cup of cake mix mixture and set aside. Press the remaining mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until golden.
- 4. Spread speculoos and nutella mixture. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- 5. Crumble the reserved cake mixture over. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes until set.
- 6. Allow to cool before cutting and enjoying 🙂