This month’s baking challenge is ALL about making homemade donuts. I have baked and fried versions, so even if you’re not keen on frying you can get those donut pans out and whip up some homemade baked donuts.
What is The October Baking Challenge?
It’s a chance for you to test drive one of my recipes, take a picture (it doesn’t have to be pretty!), post a picture in my Facebook group, and enter to win a prize! Every month I’m choosing a different theme and this month’s theme is donuts!
I find it is so helpful for me to see how my recipes turn out for you and to hear about what changes you made or would make. I love the great feedback and know how to make my recipes even better, and you get a chance to win!
What recipe should I make?
Here are the donut recipes to choose from on my site!
- Glazed Yeast Donuts Recipe (recipe below)
- Sugar Donuts
- Baked Blueberry Lemon Donuts
- Baked Apple Cider Donuts
- Red Velvet Donuts
I’ll also be rolling out some brand NEW donut recipes this month so stay tuned!
How To Join The Baking Challenge:
- Recipe: On the 1st of the month I’ll announce a new theme. For this month it’s donuts, so make a donut recipe from my site. You can choose one of the published recipes on my site already, or wait as I will roll out new recipes as the month progresses.
- Bake. Bake up a recipe of your choice from this month’s theme.
- Share. Take a photo and share in my Facebook group OR send a photo to me via e-mail: [email protected] For a second entry, leave a review on the recipe you made.
For October 2021, I’m giving away A $75 USD Amazon gift card — so you can treat yourself to whatever your heart desires!
Rules and regulations:
Giveaway is open to any residents over the age of majority in their country of residence. Giveaway is open from the time of posting until October, 31 2021 at 11:59 pm EST.
Winner will be selected at random and notified within 72 hours of the contest ending. Facebook winner will be notified by a comment and tag. Winner must respond within 48 hours of initial comment by direct message or a new winner will be chosen.
Giveaway is sponsored by The Boston Girl Bakes and is in no way associated with Facebook, Paypal or Amazon and you release Facebook of all responsibility.
The prize will be sent by email directly from Amazon. The Boston Girl Bakes is not responsible for defective products or missed delivery.
If you have any questions about how this is going down, shoot me an email or leave me a comment on this post and I will respond as quickly as possible!
Glazed Yeast Donuts
For the donuts
- 3 cups (361g) All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast or active dry yeast
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup (227g) milk
- 2 tablespoons (28g) melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups oil for frying
For the glaze
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To make the dough: In a large bowl or the bucket of a bread machine set on the dough cycle, whisk together the dry ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, melted butter, and vanilla. Add all at once to the dry ingredients. If you’re using a bread machine, press Start. If you’re preparing by hand or mixer, mix and knead to make a soft dough. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes.
- If preparing by hand or mixer, knead the dough after its rest for 6 to 8 minutes, until it’s smooth and soft. Place the dough in a greased bowl, turn it over to coat the top, cover, and let it rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until doubled in bulk.
- To shape the doughnuts: Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Gently roll it 1/4" thick, and cut out doughnuts with a 3-1/2" donut cutter. (if you don't have a donut cutter – then use a round cookie cutter or biscuit cutter, then a smaller cutter to cut out the hole in the middle – a round piping tip or smaller cutter works great! Cover loosely with greased plastic wrap and let the doughnuts rise for 30 minutes to an hour, until doubled.
- To fry: Heat the oil or shortening in a heavy frying pan or skillet to 350°F. Carefully place the doughnuts in the oil, 2 or 3 at a time, and fry until golden brown. Turn over and cook the second side; each side should take no more than a minute. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper. Fill or frost doughnuts as desired, using your choice of sugar topping or glaze.
- Make The Glaze. In a small mixing bowl combine the glaze ingredients. Dip each doughnut into the glaze. Coat on each side.
- Storage: These are best eaten the day they are made.
- Make ahead: After cutting out the donuts, place on a baking sheet, cover and keep in the fridge and fry the next day.
- Baking: If you wanted to bake the donuts instead of frying, after the donuts have been shaped have gone through the final rise then bake the donuts for about 14 minutes in a 350oF oven. They won’t be quite as crispy on the outside and get that deep-fried flavor but this process will be much easier.