Buttermilk Drop Biscuits
- Boston Girl Bakes
1. Prepare pan and oven. Pre-heat your oven to 450°F (230°C). Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. You can also bake these in a cast iron skillet or a round cake pan.
2. Combine dry ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. Cut in butter. Add the cubed, cold butter to the mixing bowl. Cut the butter into small pieces with a pastry blender, until pea-sized. You can also do this with your fingertips by squishing the butter pieces into the flour. Pour in your cold buttermilk and stir to combine. It will form a slightly wet, sticky dough and butter pieces will remain visible.
4. Add your buttermilk. Add the cold buttermilk and stir to combine. It will form a slightly wet, sticky dough and butter pieces will remain visible.
5. Scoop the biscuits. Using a large cookie scoop and scoop your biscuits onto your baking sheet (if you don't have a cookie scoop, you can use a 1/4-cup measuring cup. Use a spoon or knife to release the biscuit dough after scooping. (Visit link below for more tips on making perfect biscuits!)
6. Bake the biscuits. Bake for about 12-14 minutes until tops are golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack to continue cooling. I like to brush on butter and a sprinkle of flaky sea salt before serving.