Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
- Boston Girl Bakes
1. Prep oven and pans. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 9-inch (23 cm) springform pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Combine dry ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. Cream butter and sugar. With an electric mixer (I use my stand mixer with paddle attachment), cream together the butter and sugars for 1 to 2 minutes on medium-high speed until well combined.
4. Add eggs and vanilla. With mixer on low speed, add in the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and beat until fully combined. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
5. Add dry ingredients. Mix in the dry ingredients just until combined. Once the last of the flour has been mixed in, stop mixing. Stir in the chocolate chips on low speed, just until incorporated.
6. Bake the cookie cake. Scoop the cookie dough into the prepared springform pan and press out into an even layer. I used my hands to get this part done, but you could also use a piece of plastic wrap sprayed with cooking spray if the cookie dough is sticking, or a spatula lightly sprayed as well. Bake for 22 to 28 minutes, or until the top of the cake is set and slightly browned on top. If the top is browning too much, cover loosely with tinfoil. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely in the pan.
1. Make the frosting. In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer (hand mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment), beat the butter until smooth, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add the powdered sugar (½ cup at a time) with mixer on low speed, mixing in after each addition until well combined.
2. Add remaining ingredients.. Add the cocoa powder and mix, on low speed, until fully combined. Add the heavy cream, vanilla, and salt and continue to mix on low speed until combined. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat for 4-5 minutes until light and fluffy.
3. Frost the cookie cake. Release the cake from the springform pan. Place the frosting into a piping bag fitted with a piping tip (I use Wilton 1M – a big, closed star tip) and pipe the chocolate frosting around the edges of the cake.