Cinnamon Apple Scones
- Boston Girl Bakes
1. Preheat and prepare pan. Preheat your oven to 425°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
2. Combine dry ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and spices.
3. Cut in the butter. Cut in the butter using a pastry blender, two knives in a criss-cross fashion, or simply squish the butter with your fingertips. Work in the butter just until the mixture is unevenly crumbly; it's OK for some larger chunks of butter to remain unincorporated. The butter pieces should be about the size of a pea.
4. Add apple and cinnamon chips. Stir in the chopped apple and cinnamon chips so they are all coated in the flour mixture.
5. Add eggs and heavy cream. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the heavy cream and eggs in the center. Stir into the flour mixture with a spatula until a crumbly dough forms. If the dough seems a bit dry, add another tablespoon of heavy cream.
6. Shape and cut the scones. Empty the bowl onto a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough lightly so it comes together. I do this by patting the dough into a 1/2-inch thick circle and folding it in half. I repeat this about 2-3 more times. You don't want to overwork the dough just to bring it together. Pat the dough into an 8-inch circle.
6. Cont. Use a sharp knife and cut the circle into 8 equal wedges (like a pizza!) Place the scones onto the prepared cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart. Optional: Sprinkle with a little additional coarse sugar before baking.
7. Bake the scones. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, or until they're golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
8. Make the glaze. In a separate small bowl combine the sugar, cider, and cinnamon. Stir to combine. Once cool, then drizzle the scones with the glaze. You may need to adjust the consistency of the icing by adding a little more cider. If you don't haver cider, you can always replace it with milk.