Gingerbread Man Cookies
- Boston Girl Bakes
1. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the melted butter, molasses, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. until evenly combined.
3. Beat in the egg until evenly combined.
4. With a wooden spoon or spatula, stir dry ingredients into the butter-molasses mixture until just combined. Do not overmix.
5. Divide the dough in half, and wrap each portion of dough in plastic wrap, flattening into a disc. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, up to overnight.
6. When ready to bake, preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). You can either leave the baking sheet ungreased, but I prefer to line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or you can use silicone baking mat) for easy clean-up and baking my next batch on.)
7. Working with one disc of dough at a time, remove from the fridge and unwrap. Lightly flour the top of the dough. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the dough to about 1/4" thick (thinner cookies will be crispier). I like to roll the dough in one direction, then turn the dough so I can make sure it's not sticking to the surface. Continue to lightly dust surface, rolling pin, and dough if it's sticking.
8. Cut out shapes with a floured gingerbread man cookie cutter, cutting them as close to one another as possible to get as many cookies as possible out of the first batch (the more you have to re-roll the dough will toughen your cookies, and cause the dough to warm up too much causing them too spread).
9. Transfer the cookies to your prepare ungreased cookie sheets, spaced about 2 inches apart. Bake the cookies just until they're slightly brown around the edges 8-12 minutes, or until they feel firm. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for 5-10 minutes, or until they're set. Transfer them to a rack to cool completely. Repeat with the remaining dough.