Strawberry Pound Cake
- Boston Girl Bakes
1. Prep oven and pan. Position a rack in the middle of your oven. Pre-heat your oven to 350°F/177°C).
2. Sift dry ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Remove a tablespoon of the flour mixture and toss with the diced strawberries (this helps the strawberries from not sinking to the bottom of your cake). Set both aside.
3. Combine sour cream and vanilla. In a small bowl or measuring cup, stir together the vanilla extract and sour cream.
4. Cream butter and sugar. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or a in a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar on medium high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Add eggs. Add the eggs one at a time, scraping down the mixing bowl well after each addition and mix until blended.
6. Alternate flour and sour cream. Add the flour mixture and sour cream mixture alternately to butter-sugar-egg mixture, in 3 batches, beginning and ending with the flour. Do not overmix at this point. Stop stirring once you see the last of the flour has been stirred in. With a wooden spoon or spatula fold in the diced strawberries.
7. Add strawberries. With a wooden spoon or spatula fold in the diced strawberries.
8. Prepare bundt pan. Grease and flour one bundt cake pan. I like to grease with either shortening and a dusting of flour, or cooking spray (I like using a cooking spray with flour) and then dust with flour. You can also use two 9×5" loaf pans and grease/flour those instead.
9. Bake the cake. Pour batter into pan. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for approximately 50-60 minutes. (If baking in a loaf pan, divide the batter between the two pans and bake for 40-45 minutes). The cake is done when a toothpick or skewer inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs. Allow cake to sit in the pan for 10 minutes before turning the cake out onto a wire rack to further cool. Allow to cool before glazing.
10. Make the glaze. Mix all ingredients until smooth. Pour over top of cake and serve. For a thicker glaze use less heavy cream.