The BEST Coconut Macaroons
- Boston Girl Bakes
1. Preheat and prepare cookie sheets. Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet pan or line with parchment paper (or silicone baking mat).
2. Make macaroon mixture. In a large mixing bowl, stir together coconut, condensed milk, vanilla extract, almond extract and salt.
3. Whip the egg whites. In a second mixing bowl, with an electric mixer (hand mixer or stand mixer with your whisk attachment) whip egg whites on high speed until they make stiff peaks. Using a spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture until it’s evenly combined and there are no streaks of egg whites remaining.
4. Bake cookies. Drop batter onto sheet pans lined with parchment paper using either a 1 ½ -inch scoop, or 2 teaspoons. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven. Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for 1 minute before moving to a wire rack.
5. Dip cookies in chocolate. Chop the chocolate and melt either in a double boiler or your microwave. Then dip the bottom of each macaroon in the melted chocolate and place on parchment paper to harden.