Blueberry Muffin Bread
Blueberry Muffin Bread that can be whipped up in just one bowl!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time1 hr 10 mins
Total Time1 hr 20 mins
Servings: 1 (8x5-inch) loaf
- 2 1/2 cups (313 grams) self-rising flour
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (240 grams) milk room temperature
- 1 large egg (50 grams) room temperature
- 1/4 cup (56 grams) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (170 grams) blueberries fresh or frozen
- zest of 1 lemon optional
- sparkling sugar optional
Preheat oven to 350oF (180oC). Butter and flour an 8x5 inch loaf pan
In a medium bowl, stir together flour and granulated sugar. Add milk, egg, oil, and lemon zest, stirring until combined. Pour half of the batter into prepared pan. Top with half of the blueberries. Top with remaining batter and remaining blueberries. Sprinkle with sparkling sugar, if desired.
Bake until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean about 60-70 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on wire rack.
- Use a kitchen scale when measuring your dry ingredients to make fast work of this bread. If you do use your measuring cups, then be sure to measure your flour correctly by spooning it into the cup and leveling it off with a flat edge. For a complete nerdy post on why and how to measure your flour accurately, click here.
- If you use frozen blueberries, do not thaw them before using them. Just toss them right into the batter as is.
- Do not overmix this batter. This muffin bread should be lumpy. If you mix too long, the bread will be chewy and tough because the mixing activates the gluten in the flour. Gluten is the protein network that provides structure. So less mixing = less gluten = tender muffin bread.
- Don't add too much of the batter at first, otherwise all of your blueberries will end up at the top! You can measure out your batter for best accuracy.
- Make sure to let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing it. If you remove it too early then it may fall apart.
- If you don't have a bag of self-rising flour then make up a batch of your own!
- Nutrition facts are based on cutting this bread into 10 slices.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 266kcal | Carbohydrates: 47.2g | Protein: 4.8g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1.6g | Cholesterol: 21mg | Sodium: 19mg | Potassium: 64mg | Fiber: 1.3g | Sugar: 22.7g | Calcium: 3% | Iron: 9%