Coconut Chocolate Cake
A chocolate cake with chocolate ganache frosting, coconut buttercream, and covered in coconut!
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time1 hr
Servings: 20 slices
For the Cake
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup boiling water
For the Chocolate Ganache Frosting
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
For the Coconut Buttercream
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 1 1/4 cups (20 Tbs., 283 grams) butter unsalted, softened
- 2 Tbs. heavy cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. coconut extract or 2-3 Tbs. coconut cream
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups Coconut flakes
- 9-inch cake pans
To Make The Cake
Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil, vanilla almond extracts beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin) to the cake batter. Pour batter into prepared pans.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
To Make The Ganache Frosting
For the ganache frosting: Combine the chips, butter, and heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on 30 second intervals stirring in between each round. My ganache took about 3 rounds in the microwave. Stir until smooth. Refrigerate for about 2 hours (or freeze for about 1/2 hour) until it's thickened up. Then in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, mix on high for about 2 to 3 minutes until fluffy.
To Make The Coconut Buttercream
Using your stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Add in your powdered sugar a 1/2 cup at a time with your mixer running on low. Add in your heavy cream and extracts. You may want to add more or less of the coconut extract. 2 teaspoons was perfect for me! Then mix your frosting on high for 6 to 8 minutes until super light and fluffy.
When ready to assemble your cake. Place one layer on a cake round or cake stand. Spread your ganache frosting on. Place your second cake layer on top. Frost with your coconut buttercream. And cover in coconut flakes.
- Be sure to measure your flour accurately. You want to make sure to first fluff your flour. Then spoon your flour into the cup and level off.
- When baking these, it’s best to rotate the pans halfway through their baking time. Every oven can have hot spots so they may not bake evenly. Give them a turn in the oven, so they all bake up pretty.
- Once they are baked, be sure to take them out of the pans and cool on a cooling rack. Leaving them in your pans means they will continue to bake and could end up dry.
Calories: 604kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 45g | Saturated Fat: 30g | Cholesterol: 104mg | Sodium: 383mg | Potassium: 145mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 44g | Vitamin A: 20.9% | Vitamin C: 0.4% | Calcium: 6.1% | Iron: 5.9%