M&M Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
A thick and chewy oatmeal cookie loaded with M&M's and chocolate chips.
- 1½ cups 7½ ounces unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 16 Tablespoons 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened but still cool
- 1 cup packed 7 ounces light brown sugar
- 1 cup 7 ounces granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup milk chocolate candies aka M&M's
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Adjust the oven racks to the low and middle positions and heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or spray them with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl.
3. Either by hand or with an electric mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy. Add the sugars; beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time.
4. Stir the dry ingredients into the butter-sugar mixture with a wooden spoon or large rubber spatula. Stir in the oats, candy, and chips.
5. Working with a generous 2 Tablespoons of dough each time, roll the dough into 2-inch balls. Place the balls on the prepared baking sheets, spacing them at least 2 inches apart.
6. Bake until the cookie edges turn golden brown, 22 to 25 minutes, rotating the baking sheets front to back and top to bottom halfway through the baking time. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for 2 minutes. Transfer the cookies with a wide metal spatula to a wire rack. Let cool at least 30 minutes.
If you freeze them- scoop first and place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Freeze for 30 minutes or until hard. Then place cookie balls into a zip-loc bag and freeze. When you are ready to bake them, take them out and place on your cookie sheet 2-inches apart. Add a couple minutes of baking time on to 22-25 minutes.
Adapted from Cook's Illustrated