Milky Way Cupcakes
A chocolate cupcake filled with a caramel condensed milk mixture to make them extra moist! Then topped with a salted caramel frosting and Milky way candy bars!
Servings: 30 cupcakes
For the cupcakes
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
For the "poke" part
- 1/2 cup condensed milk
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce
- For the Frosting
- 5 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 5 sticks butter unsalted, softened
- 4 Tbs. heavy cream
- 4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce plus additional for drizzling
- milk way candy bars chopped
Heat oven to 350F. Prepare two cupcake pans with cupcake liners and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk to combine.
Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla. Whisk to combine. Stir in boiling water. (batter will be thin) Pour batter in prepared pans.
Bake 18-20 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from pans. Immediately poke the tops of the cupcakes using a wooden skewer, fork, or toothpick. Pour into the holes the condensed milk/caramel mixture.
While cupcakes are cooling, prepare the frosting: In a stand mixer, combine the butter and powdered sugar. Cream until light and fluffy for 2-3 minutes. Add in the heavy cream, caramel, and vanilla. Mix until combined on low. Then on medium-high mix for 8 minutes until light and fluffy.
6. Using a piping bag and tip, or an offset spatula, pipe the frosting onto each cupcake. Top with candy bars and additional caramel sauce if desired.
- Before you start baking, get your cupcake pans ready with your cupcake liners. Never have your batter ready, and your pans not ready. Your pans should always be waiting for you.
- Pre-heat that oven! Then double check it. Most ovens do not run accurately. Invest in an oven thermometer to ensure your oven reads the correct temperature. If it doesn't, then adjust accordingly.
- Use a cookie scoop or a measuring cup to measure out each cupcake. You want each cupcake to be the same amount of batter, so they bake evenly.
- Bake on the middle rack. If you bake too high or too low, then you run the risk your cupcakes baking unevenly.