This chocolate buttercream is light and fluffy and perfect for your cakes and cupcakes!
Servings: 12 cupcakes (about 2 cups)
- 1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks, 283 grams) unsalted butter softened
- 2 1/2 cups (313 grams) powdered sugar icing or confectioners sugar
- 3/4 cup (63 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Cream the butter first until light and fluffy.
Then add in the powdered sugar, with the mixer off 1/2 cup at a time. And the mix on low until combined.
Then increase the speed for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
Add the vanilla extract and heavy cream. Stir to combine.
Add in the cocoa powder and mix slowly at first until incorporated.
Mix for 8 minutes until light and fluffy.
When ready to use, with a pastry bag and tip attached, pipe the frosting on each cupcake.
- Soften Your Butter. Make sure your butter is softened. You can soften your butter quickly 3 different ways.
- Use unsalted butter. Different brands of butter will use different amounts of salt in their salted butter so it's best to control the amount yourself.
- Add in your powdered sugar a little at a time. So you don't have a powdered sugar blizzard all over you and the rest of your kitchen.
- Cocoa powder: I use natural unsweetened cocoa powder, but dutch process cocoa would also work and would yield a darker, richer frosting.
- Store your buttercream properly. If not using right away, then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. Whip Again. If you store the buttercream in your fridge, then you will need to rewhip the frosting until fluffy again before you use it.
Calories: 290kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 5mg | Potassium: 91mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 628IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 15mg | Iron: 1mg