Brown Sugar Buttercream
A creamy vanilla buttercream frosting recipe gets even better when brown sugar is added!
Servings: 12 cupcakes
- 2 1/2 sticks (283 g, 1 1/4 cups) unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup (107 g) packed light brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups (313 g) confectioners sugar
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
Combine the butter and brown sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer.
Add the confectioners sugar (1/2 cup to 1 cup at a time) and mix on low speed at first, then increase the speed until combined.
Add in your heavy cream, salt, and vanilla extract, and mix on medium to high speed for 8 minutes until light and creamy.
If not using immediately, store in a container in the refrigerator until ready to use, mix again until light and fluffy.
- Use softened butter to achieve the best consistency.
- To ensure lumps, you can sift the powdered sugar.
- Make sure to whip this buttercream for a full 8 minutes to get a light airy fluffy consistency. If you are using a hand mixer this will take longer.
- Before serving your cakes or cupcakes with this frosting, be sure to bring the frosting to room temperature due to the butter in the frosting.
- This frosting will be safe at room temperature for 2-3 days. Any longer than that and I recommend you refrigerate the buttercream frosting up to 5 days. The buttercream frosting can also be frozen up to 3 months.
- For Cupcakes – This recipe will generously frost 12 cupcakes. I like to pipe a pretty tall amount of frosting on each cupcake. So if you don’t use as much as I do as in the photos, then you might get more frosted (around 24 cupcakes). For help on decorating cupcakes, be sure to check out my The Ultimate Guide To Baking Cupcakes At Home and The Ultimate Guide To Making The Best Buttercream Icing.
- For Cake – This frosting will cover a 9 x 13 sheet cake a 2 layer 8-inch. For a larger cake I'd make a double batch.
Calories: 311kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 31mg | Potassium: 21mg | Sugar: 33g | Vitamin A: 625IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 15mg | Iron: 1mg