Chocolate Strawberry Cupcakes
Every baker needs a great chocolate cupcake recipe in their arsenal for birthdays and other special events. And this chocolate cupcake is moist, tender, and easy to mix up.
Servings: 15 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- ¾ cup (90 g) all purpose flour
- ½ cup (42 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- ¾ cup (149 g) granulated white sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup (120 mL) vegetable oil
- ½ cup (114 g) sour cream
For the strawberry buttercream:
- 1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter softened
- 2 ½ cups (284 g) confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt
- 1.2 ounces freeze dried strawberries
For chocolate covered strawberries (garnish, optional)
- 15 strawberries
- 4 ounces chocolate
To Make the cupcakes
Preheat and prepare pan. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line two cupcake pans with paper liners. Set aside.
Combine dry ingredients. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside.
Combine wet ingredients. In a second mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, oil, and sour cream.
Add the dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredient mixture, mixing just until combined.
Bake. Divide the batter between the prepared paper liners, filling each about 2/3 full. Keep remaining batter in the refrigerator as the first batch is baking. Bake 12-14 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Finish baking remaining batter. Frost cooled cupcakes as desired.
To make the buttercream
Mix butter and sugar. In an mixing bowl with an electric mixer, combine the butter and confectioners sugar. Mix on low speed at first, then increase the speed to medium until combined.
Add the freeze dried strawberries to a food processor or blender to pulse into a fine powder. Add the strawberry powder to the frosting.
Add heavy cream, vanilla, and salt. Add in your heavy cream, vanilla extract and salt.
Mix on medium to high speed for 7-8 minutes until light and creamy.
If not using immediately, store in a container in the refrigerator until ready to use, mix again until light and fluffy.
To make chocolate covered strawberries
- Make Ahead/Storage: These can be made one day in advance before frosting. Store leftover cupcakes, covered at room temperature or in the refrigerator for 3 days. You can also freeze frosted or unfrosted cupcakes up to 2-3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before enjoying.
Calories: 432kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 69mg | Sodium: 154mg | Potassium: 182mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 36g | Vitamin A: 583IU | Vitamin C: 35mg | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 2mg