Lemon Buttercream Frosting
This lemon buttercream frosting recipe is silky smooth, and packs a puckery punch.
Servings: 2.5 cups
- 1 1/4 cups (283 g, 2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter softened
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 4 cups (452 g) confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoona vanilla extract
Cream the butter and zest together on medium speed for about 1-2 minutes.
Then add in the powdered sugar, with the mixer off 1/2 cup at a time. And the mix on low until combined.
Then increase the speed for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
Add the heavy cream, lemon juice, and vanilla. Mix on low until combined. It may curdle at this point but will smooth out during mixing.
Mix for 8 minutes until light and fluffy.
When ready to use, with a pastry bag and tip attached, pipe the frosting on each cupcake.
- Tools: Kitchenaid Mixer | spatula | Angled spatula | disposable 18-inch pastry bags | Atecco tips
- Storage: If not using right away, then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. Whip Again. If you store the buttercream in your fridge, then you will need to rewhip the frosting until fluffy again before you use it.
- Freezing: Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and then rewhip for best consistency.
- For Cupcakes – This recipe will generously frost 12 cupcakes. I like to pipe a pretty tall amount of frosting on each cupcake. So if you don’t use as much as I do as in the photos, then you might get more frosted (around 24 cupcakes). For help on decorating cupcakes, be sure to check out my The Ultimate Guide To Baking Cupcakes At Home and The Ultimate Guide To Making The Best Buttercream Icing.
- For Cake – This frosting will cover a 9 x 13 sheet cake or a 2 layer 8-inch. For a larger cake like a 9-inch cake I’d make a double batch and freeze any leftover buttercream.
- Lemon: You could make this recipe with any citrus your heart desires! Try orange, lime, or grapefruit!
Sodium: 21mg | Calcium: 45mg | Vitamin C: 16mg | Vitamin A: 3017IU | Sugar: 189g | Fiber: 1g | Potassium: 74mg | Cholesterol: 260mg | Calories: 1612kcal | Trans Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 61g | Fat: 97g | Protein: 1g | Carbohydrates: 194g | Iron: 1mg