These classic Cheesecake Brownies are the perfect combination of soft, chewy brownie swirled with a sweetened cream cheese layer! They’re a rich and indulgent treat for any occasion that can be made ahead or frozen for extra ease.
Servings: 12 brownies
For the Cheesecake layer
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/3 cup (67 g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
For the Brownies
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick, 113 g) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (42 g) natural cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup (132 g) granulated white sugar
- 1/3 cup (142 g) light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup (120 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
For the Brownies
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat. Stir in cocoa powder and sugars.
Stir in eggs and vanilla.
Stir in flour and salt.
Stir in chocolate chips.
Reserve about 1/3 cup of the brownie batter to be swirled on top later. Spread the rest of the batter into your prepared pan. Pour your cheesecake filling over and smooth to cover the brownie batter. Then with a spoon drop tablespoons of the reserved brownie batter evenly over the cheesecake filling. With a clean knife, run the knife through the filling in a criss-cross pattern to swirl the brownie and cheesecake together.
Place in the oven on a center rack and bake for 30-35 minutes until cheesecake is set and slightly puffy. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack to completely cool. Then remove from the pan and cut into squares.
- Storage: Store the brownies in an air-tight container at room temperature for 1-2 days or the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Make Ahead: You can make them ahead and store in the fridge for 1-2 days before serving, or make long ahead and freeze. You can freeze the whole slab of brownies in the pan for a 1-2 hours, then take them out of the pan and wrap tightly in plastic wrap and foil before putting them back in the freezer. Or you can cut and wrap the brownies individually and freeze that way. Freeze for up to 3 months, then thaw at room temperature before serving.
- Use quality ingredients. For the best flavor and texture, choose high quality chocolate and cream cheese.
- Don't overmix. The cheesecake should be mixed at a low speed until just smooth or combined to avoid cracks. The brownie batter should be mixed until just combined to avoid a tough, dense brownie.
- Cut brownies after chilling. For clean, straight lines wait to cut the brownies until they are thoroughly cooled. Even better, chill them in the fridge for a few hours before cutting.
- Bake In A Light Colored Metal Pan - Glass pans will take longer and could result in a gummy texture. Dark pans will cook the edges too quickly. So be sure to use a light colored baking pan.
Calories: 329kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 88mg | Sodium: 180mg | Potassium: 160mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 26g | Vitamin A: 555IU | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 2mg