Salted Caramel Sauce
A homemade salted caramel sauce that can be drizzled over ice-cream or added to all kinds of desserts. Makes about 2 cups and can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
Servings: 2 cups
- 1 cup (240 mL) water
- 2 cups (394 g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (240 mL) heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter chilled
- 1 Tablespoon fleur de sel any larger flaky salt will do
Pour water into a medium sauce pan. Pour your sugar into the center of the pan. Be careful not to let the sugar crystals touch the side of the pan. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Uncover and continue to boil until the syrup is thick and straw colored and your thermometer registers 300 degrees, about 15 minutes.
Reduce your heat to medium and continue to cook until the sugar is deep amber and registers 350 degrees, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring your heavy cream to a simmer in a saucepan over high heat. If you cream begins to simmer before your sugar is ready, remove the cream from heat and set aside.
Remove the sugar syrup from heat. Carefully pour about 1/4 of your cream into your sugar syrup. The mixture will bubble vigorously. Let the bubbling subside, and add in the remaining cream. Whisk gently until smooth, then whisk in your butter and your salt.
Let cool until warm and serve. The sauce can be refrigerated for up to two weeks.
Adapted from Cook's Illustrated Caramel Sauce
- You definitely need a good candy thermometer. The better you get at making caramel, you might be able to do this by look, but trust me the first few times you are going to want a candy thermometer! Having a candy thermometer is definitely recommended. The more times you make this sauce, the more comfortable you will be. Maybe too comfortable. Keeping this stuff in the fridge is dangerous.
- Do not walk away from this. You think you can go check your e-mail? Yea, I thought so too. You can't. Your caramel will be burnt. You've been warned.
- Use a timer for certain steps. It really will be a lifesaver for you.
Calories: 1285kcal | Carbohydrates: 203g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 55g | Saturated Fat: 35g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 193mg | Sodium: 3543mg | Potassium: 97mg | Sugar: 200g | Vitamin A: 2099IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 88mg | Iron: 1mg