The Best Buttercream Frosting
The best vanilla buttercream frosting you will ever taste.
Servings: 2 cups
- 1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks, 283 g) unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups (283 g) confectioners sugar
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream (or milk)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Combine the butter and confectioners sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer.
Mix on low speed at first, then increase to medium until combined and smooth. About 2-3 minutes.
Add in your heavy cream, salt, and vanilla extract, and mix on medium to high speed for 8 minutes until light and creamy.
If not using immediately, store in a container in the refrigerator until ready to use, mix again until light and fluffy.
- Use softened butter to achieve the best consistency.
- To ensure lumps, you can sift the powdered sugar.
- Make sure to whip this buttercream for a full 8 minutes to get a light airy fluffy consistency. If you are using a hand mixer this will take longer.
- Before serving your cakes or cupcakes with this frosting, be sure to bring the frosting to room temperature due to the butter in the frosting.
- Adapted from Cook's Illustrated
Calories: 1614kcal | Carbohydrates: 150g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 115g | Saturated Fat: 73g | Trans Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 305mg | Sodium: 184mg | Potassium: 43mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 147g | Vitamin A: 3545IU | Calcium: 54mg | Iron: 1mg