A chocolate chip and walnut bar made with a bourbon caramel sauce and a buttery shortbread crust!
Servings: 20 bars
For the Crust
- 1 1/4 cups (150 g) all purpose flour spooned and leveled
- 1/3 cups (65 g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (113 g) unsalted butter softened and cut into tablespoons
For the Filling
- 1/2 cup (107 g) packed light brown sugar
- 6 Tablespoons (85 g) unsalted butter
- 14- ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 Tablespoons dark or light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extracte
- 2 Tablespoons Bourbon optional
- 1/8 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 3/4 cup (90 g) all purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups (256 g) whole walnuts toasted and chopped
- 2 cups (340 g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
Prepare oven and pans. Preheat your oven to 375F and prepare a 13x9 pan with aluminum foil. Spray with cooking spray and set aside.
Make the crust. In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, mix the flour sugar and salt. Add the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time. Press into the 13x9 pan. Bake at 375F for 14-18 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside. Lower the oven temperature to 350F.
Make the caramel. In a medium saucepan, add the brown sugar and butter. Stir and cook over medium heat until melted. Add the milk, corn syrup, vanilla, and bourbon. Bring to a boil and stir continuously. Insert a candy thermometer, and continue to cook until the thermometer reaches 225F. Remove the heat and allow to cool before adding to the rest of the filling.
Make the filling. Once the caramel has cooled to room temperature add your flour and eggs and stir to combine. Stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
Bake the bars. Spread into the prepared 13x9 pan and bake for 20-25 minutes in a preheated 350F oven until the top is golden brown and set. Cool completely before cutting into bars and enjoying!
- Make ahead/storage: I prefer to store these covered on the counter for 2-3 days, or you can store in the fridge for up to 1 week. Allow to soften again before serving.
- Freezing: Wrap well and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature.
- Bourbon: The bourbon is completely optional in this recipe and can be left out if you so choose.
Calories: 400kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 55mg | Sodium: 112mg | Potassium: 159mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 33g | Vitamin A: 376IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 102mg | Iron: 1mg