Chocolate Guinness Cake
A chocolate cake made better with Guinness and frosted with a Bailey's buttercream.
Servings: 16 slices (1 10-inch bundt pan)
For the Cake
- 2 cups (394 g) granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups (210 g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (63 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup (240 mL) whole milk room temperature
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup (240 mL) Guinness
For the frosting (this is a triple batch)
- 7 sticks (3 1/2 cups, 791 g) unsalted butter softened
- 7 cups (791 g) confectioners sugar
- 6 Tbs. Bailey's Irish Cream
- 3 Tbs. heavy cream
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch salt
To make the cake
Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour three 8-inch cake pans (or two 9-inch pans).
Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
In a second mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, oil and vanilla until smooth. Add to dry ingredients, whisk until smooth. Do not overmix.
Stir in Guinness (batter will be thin) just until combined. Pour batter into prepared pans.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
While the cake cools, make the frosting.
To make the frosting:
Mix butter and sugar. In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, combine the butter and confectioners sugar. Mix on low speed at first, then increase the speed to medium until combined.
Add heavy cream, vanilla, Bailey's, and pinch of salt.. Mix on medium to high speed for 7-8 minutes until light and creamy. When cake is cooled frost cake and serve.
- Tools: Round Cake Pans | Mixing Bowl | Cooling Rack| Dry measuring cups | measuring spoons | liquid measuring cup | Whisk
- Make Ahead/Storage: You can make the layers 1-2 days ahead of time. Just cool, wrap, and store at room temperature. The cake can be frosted and kept at room tempearture for 1 day ahead of time, covered.
- Freezing: I have frozen this cake and it freezes well. Freeze for up to 3 months. Allow the cake to cool completely before freezing. Then wrap really well in plastic wrap, and place in a large zip-loc bag (or wrap in an extra layer of tin foil if you don't have bags large enough). Thaw before serving.
- Frosting: This is a triple batch of my frosting, but you can always make less.
- Guinness substitute: You could use another dark beer, or use water instead.
- To make as a sheet cake: Use a 9x13 pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes.
- To make as a layer cake: Grease and flour three 8-inch round baking pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes.
- To make into cupcakes: Line muffin cups with paper bake cups. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes.
- To make as a bundt: Use a 12- cup bundt pan, and bake for 50-55 minutes.
Calories: 830kcal | Carbohydrates: 93g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 51g | Saturated Fat: 28g | Trans Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 135mg | Sodium: 273mg | Potassium: 159mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 78g | Vitamin A: 1335IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 59mg | Iron: 1mg