Strawberry Rhubarb Bars
An easy one bowl oatmeal crumb bar with fresh sweet strawberries and tart rhubarb.
Servings: 12 bars
For the crumb mixture
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 12 tablespoons butter cold, cut into tablespoons
For the filling
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 cup sliced rhubarb
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup sugar
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 9x9 pan with parchment paper.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, sugars, salt and baking powder. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until coarse crumbs are formed. Reserve 1 cup of the mixture and set aside.
Press the remaining mixture into the bottom of the 9x9 pan. Use the bottom of the measuring cup to easily press down.
In the same mixing bowl, stir together all the filling ingredients. Pour over the crumb mixture in the pan. Top with the remaining 1 cup crumb mixture, spread evenly around.
Bake for 50-60 minutes until top is golden brown and filling is bubbling. (for me this took exactly 55 minutes). Allow to cool on a wire cooling rack, then cut into bars and serve. Store covered at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Tools: 9x9 pan, Pastry Blender
- I used a 9x9 pan for this recipe, but an 8x8 pan works as well. You will just have thicker bars.
- Line your pan with parchment paper. But if you don't have that, you can spray your pan but it might not easily remove. You can also use tinfoil and spray the tinfoil with non-stick cooking spray. Just don't use wax paper!
- If you want to freeze these bars, let them cool and remove them from the pan and then cut into bars. Freeze first on a cookie sheet, then once frozen place inside a zip-loc bag. They will keep for up to 2 months. But these bars are best the day of. My preference? With a dollop of ice-cream!
Serving: 1g | Calories: 298kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 300mg | Potassium: 176mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 363IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 1mg