Salted caramel brownies (flourless too!)
Servings: 20 brownies
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon fleur de sel or another kind of sea salt
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking pan or line with parchment paper.
Combine the sugars and oil and beat until well combined.
Add in the eggs and whisk together.
Mix the vanilla and espresso powder together until the coffee powder is dissolved and add to the egg/sugar/oil mixture. Beat for about two minutes.
Stir in the cocoa and salt and blend until smooth. Pour into prepared pan and bake about 25 minutes
Pour caramel sauce over the top of the brownie batter and swirl with a knife. Top with sea salt.
Bake about 25-30 minutes until top is set (will be still slightly jiggly) but will set up after baking.
- Bring your eggs to room temperature quickly by placing them in a bowl of warm water for 10 minutes before you begin baking.
- These brownies are best if you use quality cocoa. With a 1 1/2 cups of cocoa powder, its worth investing in a quality brand.
- You can make your own homemade caramel sauce or use store bought to save yourself a few minutes.
- Be sure to not over bake these. The brownies will appear not done when the timer goes off, but don't worry they will set up when they will cool.
- I suggest lining your pan with parchment paper if you can, because these brownies will be a bit harder to remove if using just cooking spray.
- Adapted from Yammie's Gluten Freedom