Blueberry Crumble Pie
A perfect blueberry crumble pie topped with a brown sugar streusel!
Servings: 8 slices
For the pie dough
- 1 1/4 cups (150 g) all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons (46 g) vegetable shortening cut into 1/4-inch pieces and chilled
- 6 tablespoons (85 g) unsalted butter cut into 1/4-inch pieces and chilled
- 3-4 tablespoons ice cold water
For the filling
- 6 cups (1020 g) fresh blueberries
- 1 Granny Smith apple peeled and grated on large holes of box grater
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 3/4 cup (148 g) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons (28 g) unsalted butter cut into 1/4-inch pieces
For the crumble topping
- 3/4 cup (90 g) all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons (71 g) unsalted butter melted, cooled slightly
For the pie dough
Process the salt, sugar, and flour in a food processor until combined, about 5 seconds. Scatter shortening over top and process until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal (about 10 seconds). Scatter butter over top and pulse mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs, about 10 pulses.
Transfer mixture to a bowl. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons ice water over mixture. Stir and press dough together using a rubber spatula, until dough sticks together. If does not come together, stir in remaining ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
Put the dough onto a sheet of plastic wrap and flatten into a 4-inch disk. Wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour. Before rolling dough out, let it sit on counter to soften slightly, about 10 minutes. Dough can be refrigerated for up to 2 days or frozen for up to a month.
For the filling
Adjust oven rack to lowest position, place rimmed baking sheet on oven rack and heat oven to 400 degrees. Place 3 cups berries in medium saucepan and set over medium heat. Using potato masher, mash berries several times to release juices. Continue to cook, stirring frequently and mashing occasionally, until about half of berries have broken down and mixture is thickened and reduced to 1 1/2 cups, about 8 minutes. Let cool slightly.
Place grated apple in clean kitchen towel and wring dry. Transfer apple to large bowl. Add cooked berries, remaining 3 cups uncooked berries, lemon zest, juice, sugar, cornstarch, and salt; toss to combine. Transfer mixture to dough-lined pie plate and scatter butter pieces over filling.
To bake the pie
Place pie on heating baking sheet and bake 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue to bake until juice bubbles and crust is deep golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes longer. Transfer pie to wire rack; cool to room temperature, at least 4 hours. Cut into wedges and serve.
Adapted from Cookin' for my Captain
- Make sure everything is cold for the pie crust. I use frozen butter actually. And ice water. You could even go as far as putting your bowls, pastry cutter, and flour in the freezer if you so choose for 30 minutes before you start.
- I love an all butter crust. Butter gives the pie crust tremendous flavor. I do use half butter and half shortening for the best flaky crust, but choose which fat you prefer! All butter or half butter/half shortening you can’t go wrong.
- Work the dough as little as possible, leaving good sized visible chunks of butter in your dough there is no need to use shortening.
- Don’t overwork the pie dough. Use your finger tips not your palms of your hand when working with the pie dough. It’s ok if you still see some chunks of butter In fact, it’s preferred.
- Bake your pie in the lower third of your oven for the best pie.
- Use a pie shield or cover the top of the pie with aluminum foil if you find the top of the pie is beginning to burn before the pie is done baking.
- If you use frozen blueberries, do not thaw them before using. And if you have extra juice in the bottom of your filling bowl scoop only the blueberries leaving behind the extra juice.
Calories: 496kcal | Carbohydrates: 65.6g | Protein: 4.4g | Fat: 25.9g | Saturated Fat: 13.9g | Cholesterol: 50mg | Sodium: 353mg | Fiber: 4.2g | Sugar: 35.8g