Homemade Pop Tarts
A homemade version of the classic breakfast treat- Pop Tarts...made 3 different ways!
Servings: 8 poptarts
For the Pie Crust
- 3 cups (360 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks, 227 g) cold unsalted butter cut into cubes
- 8-10 tablespoons ice water
For The Frosted Strawberry
For The Brown Sugar Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (107 g) light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
For The S'mores
- 3/4 cup marshmallow fluff
- 8 mini Hershey bars (or 2 regular chocolate bars or milk chocolate chips)
For Vanilla Glaze
- 1/2 cup (60 g) powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon milk water, or cream
- sprinkles for topping
For Cinnamon Glaze
- 1/2 cup (60 g) powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon water milk, or cream
For The Milk Chocolate Ganache
- 3 ounces (1/4 cup) heavy cream
- 1 cup (6 ounces) milk chocolate chips
- graham crackers crumbs for garnish
To Make The Pie Crust
In a food processor or by hand, stir together the flour and salt. Sprinkle very cold butter over the top and pulse for a few seconds or cut the butter with the pastry cutter/fingertips until it is about the size of split peas.
Sprinkle half of the ice water over the flour mixture and mix gently to dampen flour. Add the remaining water in two stages and continue to pulse or stir until a dough forms. When enough water has been added to allow dough to hold together, gather it into a ball and transfer to lightly floured surface.Press dough into a flat disk, then place in large zipper bag. Refrigerate dough for at least an hour or overnight.
To Shape The Pop Tarts
Cut dough in half. Keep the second half wrapped in plastic wrap and in the fridge. Roll out one half of the dough onto a lightly floured surface to a 13 by 11 inch rectangle (about 1/4 inch thick). Trim dough so sides are even and straight, to a 12 by 10 inch rectangle.
Cut the dough into eight 5 by 3 inch rectangles.
Arrange 4 rectangles onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
Brown sugar cinnamon: If making brown sugar cinnamon: Simply measure and place all the ingredients into a bowl and stir to combine.
Add Filling. For each rectangles, place one tablespoon (to 2 tablespoons max) of filling in the center. Spread out but leave a 1/2 inch border. Place another rectangle on top and use a fork to crimp the edges to prevent the filling from leaking out in the oven. Poke the top of each poptart with a few holes with the tines of a fork to allow steam to escape as they bake.
Refrigerate. After they are all prepared, refrigerate to firm up again for another 30 minutes. Repeat with the remaining dough disk.
Egg Wash and Bake. When ready, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Make egg wash and brush each poptart with a little egg wash. Place the prepared cookie sheet in the pre-heated oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Place on a cooling rack before applying glaze.
To prepare vanilla glaze: Combine all three ingredients and stir to combine. You may find you need to add either more powdered sugar or milk to achieve the desired consistency. If making cinnamon glaze, then add cinnamon. Then simply spread the glaze on your cooled tarts. For frosted strawberry, sprinkle on sprinkles.
For milk chocolate ganache: Heat heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl for about 30 seconds until very hot (but not boiling). Add chocolate chips. Let sit for 1-2 minutes. Then stir until smooth. Frost cooled poptarts and then sprinkle on crushed graham crackers.
- Great pie crust is key! Use very cold butter, ice cold water, and don't overwork the dough.
- Leave A Border. You want to make sure to leave about 1/4-inch border from filling to edge of the pie crust. Otherwise it might leak out!
- Don't Add Too Much Filling. I add about 1 to 2 Tablespoons MAX of filling. Too much and you risk it leaking out.
- Seal the pop tarts really well. This dough is very tender and flaky. If you find your dough is tearing, just pop it back in the fridge for awhile. Seal it with the tines of a fork to get the best closure.
Serving: 1poptart | Calories: 504kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 45mg | Sodium: 299mg | Potassium: 65mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 24g | Vitamin A: 525IU | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 2mg