Homemade yellow cake mix
A homemade yellow cake mix that is cheaper than storebought and no preservatives!
Prep Time5 mins
Total Time5 mins
- 2 cups (396 g) granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (180 g) all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (120 g) cake flour
- 1/2 cup (70 g) non fat dry milk powder
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter cut into 1/2-inch cubes, cold
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
To make the mix
In the bowl of a food processor, combine the sugar, both flours, milk powder, baking powder and salt. Process for 15 seconds.
Add the pieces of butter and lightly toss with a fork so they are coated with the flour mixture. Sprinkle the vanilla over the top.
Pulse until the mixture is fine and crumbly, about 10 one-second pulses.
Use immediately or store in an airtight bag or container in the freezer for up to 2 months.
To make a cake using the mix
Grease a 9x13 (or 2 9-inch pans), one bundt pan, or 2 cupcake pans and preheat your oven to 350°F.
With an electric mixer, combine your cake mix, 1 1/4 cups warm water, and 2 large room temperature eggs until the mixture is smooth (about 2 minutes).
.Scrape the batter into the prepared cake pan(s) and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25-27 minutes for two 9-inch layer cakes. Or 30 to 35 minutes for a 9x13 baking pan. Or one 12-cup bundt pan (bake for 40 to 45 minutes), or 24 cupcakes (bake for 18 to 20 minutes)
- Be sure to store this in the refrigerator if using right away, or freezer for up to 2 months.
- If using salted butter, reduce the salt by 1/2 teaspoon.
- If you are out of cake flour, make your own cake flour
- Adapted from Brown Eyed Baker who adapted it from Mel's Kitchen Cafe