Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookies
This copycat recipe from Levain Bakery is their famous chocolate walnut cookies - giant gooey cookies!
Servings: 12 cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) Cold Unsalted Butter cut into small cubes
- 1 cup (213 g) Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup (99 g) Granulated Sugar
- 2 large Eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (180 g) Cake Flour
- 1 1/2 cups (180 g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
- 2 cups Walnuts roughly chopped
Preheat oven to 410 degrees.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together cold cubed butter, brown sugar, and sugar for 4 minutes or until creamy.
Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each one. Add vanilla extract.
Stir in flours, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Mix until just combined to avoid overmixing. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.
Separate dough into large balls and place on lightly colored cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. I weighted mine each at 4 ounces (equal to about a heaping large cookie scoop). Place 4-6 cookies max on a parchment lined cookie sheet
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown on the top. Let them rest for at least 10 minutes to set.
- Measure your flours correctly. For best results I recommend using a kitchen scale. But if you are using measuring cups than you want to pay attention to how you measure. Too much flour can result in a dense cookie. Don’t just scoop the flour directly into your measuring cup. This can result in a major over measurement! After you have spooned the flour in, then use a knife to level off the flour. Don’t tap the sides of the measuring cup, or pack your flour down. Both can also result in too much flour. You can read a full tutorial on how to measure flour here. You can read more about Which Flour Is Best For Cookies?
- COLD butter. I think that's my favorite part of making these cookies. No waiting for your butter to soften. Just cut up some butter straight from the fridge and away we go! It's why these cookies do not spread much. You can ready more here about Why Are My Cookies Flat? (8 Reasons Why!)
- Weigh Your Cookie Dough– Why? Levain bakery chocolate chip cookies are meant to be HUGE. Now I guess the bakery makes them 6-ounces. I went with 4-ounces. And they were still gigantic. I weighed mine on a scale to be accurate. But they basically were a heaping large cookie scoop worth.
- Bake A Few At A Time. I would only bake 6 total cookies at a time because of their size.
- You can substitute all-purpose flour for cake flour
- Vanilla or no vanilla? That's up to you. I say use it!! Levain Bakery has stated they don't use vanilla extract in their cookies.
Calories: 667kcal | Carbohydrates: 68g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 41g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 237mg | Potassium: 330mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 38g | Vitamin A: 537IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 67mg | Iron: 4mg