4 Ways To Core A Cupcake – Learn how to fill cupcakes by using some everyday kitchen tools to easily cut the center out of your cupcake so you can fill them with all sorts of delicious things!
There’s more than one way to skin a cat. Ok, that’s gross to think about it. I’m not even sure what the answer is to that question and frankly, I don’t ever want to know. Can we change that phrase? How about this… There’s more than one way to fill a cupcake. Doesn’t that phrase sound a whole heck of a lot better? I think so too.
This post is part of my baking basics series I’ve been working on for you to help you become a better baker, posts like how to soften your butter quickly, how to make your own buttermilk and cake flour, and a 10 common baking substitutions in case you run out of an ingredient mid recipe (which happens to me once a month and I assume I’m not alone).
And I honestly have been coring my cupcakes one way and one way only for years. But like the saying goes I figured that has to be more than one way! And yes, my friends. There are 4 that I have found that works wonders.
The Tools To Fill A Cupcake
To fill a cupcake you can use 1 of 4 tools. You can use a melon baller, butter knife (or small paring knife), piping tip, or (my favorite) the apple corer.
Here are the tools you can use (and I would bet a whole heck of a lot money) that you have one of these laying around the kitchen if not 2 or 3.
How Do You Core A Cupcake?
Whichever method you choose to core the center of your cupcake, be sure to not go all the way to the bottom of your cupcake. You want to be sure to leave some of the bottom of the cupcake intact. Otherwise when someone peels the liner away they might have quite the mess on their hands with filling coming out the bottom!
- Use a knife- Simply cut the center of your cupcake out by inserting your knife at a 45 degree angle. You will cut out a “cone” of cupcake. Now you can discard that little bit of cupcake or save it for a later use (see what to do with leftover cupcakes later!). For certain cupcakes like my Homemade Hostess cupcakes that will get get dipped in a chocolate ganache, I reserve just the top of the center and cut off the bottom, so I after filling the cupcake, I can place the top back on to hide the filling!
- With a Large Star Pastry Tip- You can use your large star pastry tip that you use to frost your cupcakes with to also remove the center of your cupcakes with! Simply use the end (or the sharp edges) and insert into the cupcakes. Twist and pull it out to remove the center. If it doesn’t come straight out, you can just use your fingers to gently help remove the center.
- With an apple corer- Simply plunge the apple corer into the center making sure to not go all the way to bottom of the cupcake. If you were go all the way to the liner, then when you go to the put in the filling, it could run out when you go to take the liner off and eat it. So simply, plunge the corer down about ½ to ¾ of the way down, then simply lift out. This is my favorite method and the easiest!
- Use A Melon Baller- Using the melon baller on a cupcake is no different than if you wanted to use it regularly on a melon. Simply insert the baller, and twist around to remove the center. If you want more removed and go down further, simply insert it again, to remove even more cupcake.
How Do I Fill Cupcakes?
First make sure allow your cupcakes to cool completely before you try to core and fill the cupcakes.
Once you have cored the center of your cupcakes, you can then fill the cupcakes with your filling. You can use a piping bag or a spoon to fill the center of your cupcake with.
You can also fill the cupcakes without coring them. Just plunge the piping bag filled with your filling into the cupcake and fill. Similar to how you might fill a cream puffcream puff. And then stop squeezing when you see filling or feel resistance. This is not my preferred method as I find it hard to determine if I have added enough.
Once you have filled the cupcakes I then replace the top of the cupcake. I cut off the bottom of the “cone” I cored, and place it back on top like a little hat (Be sure to watch the video to see how this is done!)
What Can I Fill Cupcakes With?
So now the hard part..what are you going to fill that cupcake with?
Oh the possibilities.
How Much Do You Fill Cupcakes?
I always just make sure that the filling doesn’t go above the cupcake top. For me that’s about a tablespoon of filling. I just make sure that there is enough filling to fill up the center of the cupcake that I cored.
Can I Fill Cupcakes The Night Before?
You definitely can. I always recommend baking cupcakes 1-2 days before the main event and store covered at room temperature.
For More Cupcake Related Tutorials Check Out These Posts:
- 6 Reasons Why Your Are Cupcakes Sinking In The Middle
- 6 Cupcake Decorating Supplies You Need To Start Decorating Like A Pro
- Ultimate Guide To Baking Cupcakes At Home
- Ultimate Guide To Making The Best Buttercream Icing
- Ultimate Guide To Decorating Cupcakes For Beginners
- How To Store And Freeze Cupcakes
If you loved this tutorial, then be sure to leave me a comment and star rating below!