Sour Cream Citrus Pound Cake
A delicious pound cake bursting with citrus flavor and drizzled in a tangy lemon icing!
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time50 mins
Total Time1 hr 10 mins
Servings: 12 -16 slices
For the cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Grated zest of 1 orange 1 lemon, 1 lime
- For the Lemon Glaze
- 1 1/4 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
Sift dry ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
In another bowl, combine grated orange, lemon, and lime zests, vanilla extract and sour cream.
In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, scraping down the mixing bowl well after each addition and mix until blended. Add dry and wet ingredients alternately to butter-sugar-egg mixture until uniformly incorporated- do not overmix.
Grease and flour one bundt cake pan (or 2 large loaf pans- or 6-7 mini loaf pans). Pour batter into pan. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees oven for approximately 50 minutes (be sure to lower the baking time if you are making things smaller). The cake is done when a toothpick or skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool before glazing.
For the glaze: Mix all ingredients until smooth. Pour over top of cake and serve. For a thicker glaze use less lemon juice.
- Careful when zesting. When zesting the citrus, make sure to go only down to the white pith layer. The white pith layer is bitter so you want to make sure to not zest this layer, just the outer layer.
- Soften Your Butter. You want properly softened butter so that you can cream mixture properly. The sugar punches holes into the butter creating air pockets, which helps to aerate and help the cake to rise. Here are 3 quick ways to soften your butter.
- Bring your eggs to room temperature. You don't want cold eggs being added to your creamed butter mixture. It will seize up the butter. So place your eggs in a bowl of warm water for 10 minutes before using them.
Calories: 485kcal | Carbohydrates: 71g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 105mg | Sodium: 175mg | Potassium: 105mg | Sugar: 50g | Vitamin A: 13.4% | Vitamin C: 3.2% | Calcium: 4.7% | Iron: 8.5%