A fudgy classic brownie recipe made with mint Oreos!
I don't know about you but when it comes to brownies, they better be fudgy and slightly chewy with a crackly top.
And I thought why not throw in some Mint Oreos, while we're at right?
When it comes to brownies, I am 100% a member of the Fudgy Brownie Camp (you know if there was one). I personally don't get the Cakey Brownie people. If you want cake people, make cake. But if you want brownies...well then they should be fudgy, have a crackly top, and be loaded with chocolate flavor.
To achieve that fudgy over the top chocolate flavor, this recipe calls for 3- yes three!- different kinds of chocolate. Semi-sweet, unsweetened, and pure cocoa powder, to pack a very chocolatey punch.
The second thing to ensure fudgy brownies and not cakey brownies is to NOT. OVERMIX. Let me say it again, whatever you do, DO. NOT. OVERMIX. Ok, well how do you know if you haven't? Leave some streaks of flour in the mix. This way you can ensure, you have stirred too much and don't worry about the flour it will all bake right in. Promise. Plus, since you will be stirring in chopped up Mint Oreos, you want to leave yourself some wiggle room on the whole "don't overmix" thing. Mixing too much means you will cause the gluten in the flour to activate and make your brownies cakey not fudgy.
So to make the brownies better. I decided to chop up some mint oreos and stir those in. I chopped up about 20 oreos. One or two may not have made it into the bowl. I only have so much will power around Oreos. I'm sure you understand. I left some of them to then place on top of the batter after I spread them in the pan. You know to make them all pretty and such.If you loved this recipe, let me know and leave me a comment. Or maybe you want to see a different brownie flavor combination, let me know! Happy Baking Everyone!
- 5 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 20 mint oreos, chopped
- 1. Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 11x9 glass pan with parchment paper.
- 2. Melt chocolate and butter in medium heatproof bowl set over sauce pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally, until smooth. Whisk in cocoa until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- 3. Chop the oreos into quarters and set aside. Whisk eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt together in medium bowl until combined, about 15 seconds. Whisk warm chocolate mixture into egg mixture. Using rubber spatula, stir in flour until just combined. Leave a few streaks of flour not mixed in. Stir in the oreos, leaving some to place on top of the batter. Transfer the batter to a prepared pan. Spread the batter into the corners until smooth. Place the remaining oreos quarters on top of the batter, pressing down slightly. Bake until slightly puffed and toothpick inserted in center of brownies comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, about 30 to 35 minutes.Let them cool in pan on a wire rack. Once cooled, lift the parchment paper out, and cut the brownies into squares.