A fudgy classic brownie recipe made with mint Oreos. These mint Oreo brownies are so easy to throw together with the perfect crackly tops and dense fudgy layer underneath. Grab a package of mint Oreos and whip these up tonight!
I don’t know about you but when it comes to brownies, they better be fudgy and slightly chewy with a crackly top.
And I thought why not throw in some Mint Oreos, while we’re at right?
When it comes to brownies, I am 100% a member of the Fudgy Brownie Camp (you know if there was one). I personally don’t get the Cakey Brownie people. If you want cake people, make cake. But if you want brownies…well then they should be fudgy, have a crackly top, and be loaded with chocolate flavor.
Like these mint Oreo brownies for example...
These brownies are slightly adapted from this fudgy brownie recipe from Cook’s Illustrated. Their cookbook is one of my baking must haves in my kitchen. I love their cookbook for foolproof recipes, and a little food science knowledge thrown in. I mean you know if you try their recipe it will WORK OUT. You will see stars. The heavens open up. Chocolate nirvana is reached.
Seriously all I thought these brownies needed was some mint Oreos. Because well I think all things need mint Oreos. Like this chocolate cake. Or this no churn ice-cream. And these cupcakes, too. You know and every day that ends in Y apparently.
How To Make These Mint Oreo Brownies:
To achieve that fudgy over the top chocolate flavor, this recipe calls for 3- yes three!- different kinds of chocolate. Semi-sweet, unsweetened, and pure cocoa powder, to pack a very chocolatey punch.
You want to first start by pre-heating your oven. This is a super important step, friend. Please don’t ignore it and wait until the end to do this. Oven 101. Don’t ignore it. Now for these brownies I used my 11×9 pan. You could use your 13×9 if that’s all you have. Your brownies might not be as thick as mine. But just as tasty, no worries there.
This recipe starts with melting your butter and chocolate together in a saucepan. And then stirring in your cocoa powder. You want to make sure to set this aside to cool slightly. While you wait chop up some Oreos…
I chopped up about 20 oreos. One or two may not have made it into the bowl. I only have so much will power around Oreos. I’m sure you understand.
While your butter mixture is cooling, go ahead and mix together your sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt. The once your chocolate mixture has cooled enough, go ahead and add it to your bowl. Just be sure it’s not too hot or you will end up with chocolate scrambled eggs.
Um, and that’s gross. But you knew that…
The Secret to Making These Mint Oreo Brownies Come Out Perfect….
And to ensure fudgy brownies and not cakey brownies is to NOT. OVERMIX. Let me say it again, whatever you do, DO. NOT. OVERMIX. Ok, well how do you know if you haven’t? Meaning it’s time to add in your perfectly measured flour. Scoop and level friend.
Leave some streaks of flour in the mix. This way you can ensure, you have stirred too much and don’t worry about the flour it will all bake right in. Promise. Plus, since you will be stirring in chopped up Mint Oreos, you want to leave yourself some wiggle room on the whole “don’t overmix” thing. Mixing too much means you will cause the gluten in the flour to activate and make your brownies cakey not fudgy.
I like to stir half of the Oreos into the batter and leave half to press right on top before placing in the oven.
You can go ahead and throw the dang bowl in. Go for it. Doesn’t matter to me. However, I think they just look much prettier in the end with all those Oreos peeking up through, don’t you?
Another trick is to cut them with a plastic knife. They will cut neater with a plastic knife! You know assuming you haven’t just dug in with your bare hands because you have no self control like me.
If you loved this recipe, let me know and leave me a comment. Or maybe you want to see a different brownie flavor combination, let me know!
Happy Baking Everyone!
- 5 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 20 mint oreos, chopped
- 1. Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 11x9 glass pan with parchment paper.
- 2. Melt chocolate and butter in medium heatproof bowl set over sauce pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally, until smooth. Whisk in cocoa until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- 3. Chop the oreos into quarters and set aside. Whisk eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt together in medium bowl until combined, about 15 seconds. Whisk warm chocolate mixture into egg mixture. Using rubber spatula, stir in flour until just combined. Leave a few streaks of flour not mixed in. Stir in the oreos, leaving some to place on top of the batter. Transfer the batter to a prepared pan. Spread the batter into the corners until smooth. Place the remaining oreos quarters on top of the batter, pressing down slightly. Bake until slightly puffed and toothpick inserted in center of brownies comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, about 30 to 35 minutes.Let them cool in pan on a wire rack. Once cooled, lift the parchment paper out, and cut the brownies into squares.
Get My Buttercream Cheatsheet!
Join the community to get the tips, tricks, and simple from scratch recipes so you can start baking delicious desserts today. PLUS I will send you my Buttercream Cheatsheet with 13 ways to flavor your buttercream!