This easy caramel frosting can be made in about 15 minutes. Use quality butter, pure vanilla extract, and swirl in caramel. Just add a pinch of salt for the perfect icing to be used on just about anything.
I know some people may be over the whole salted caramel thing. Me personally? Nope. Never.
Not gonna happen.
There is something about the whole salty sweet thing. Balancing out those tastebuds and making them oh so happy.
Like in this salted caramel buttercream icing.
How To Make This Easy Caramel Frosting
This buttercream icing starts off with the best buttercream icing recipe ever. It’s so simple and so crazy good. You will never search for another recipe for buttercream again. I’d put my paycheck on that. I mean it’s from Cook’s Country, so you know it’s gonna be great. And if you’re new to making buttercream, then be sure to give my Ultimate Guide To Making The Best Buttercream Icing Ever. Trust me it will walk you through step by step on how to make the best buttercream ever.
Be sure to use quality unsalted Grade AA Butter (I use Cabot, it’s my preference) but be sure you use at least a quality butter. Cheap generic butter uses more air and water which can result in a less tastier butter. And when it comes to buttercream, all that taste will shine through. Here are 3 quick ways to soften your butter if you are in a pinch for time.
You also want to use pure vanilla extract not that cheap imitation stuff. Because buttercream isn’t baked, that pure vanilla flavor will shine through. Even in this caramel icing.
Once you have the base buttercream made you need to simply turn it into a salted caramel version. You can do this two ways.
The From Scratch Method: You can also make your homemade salted caramel sauce. Here is a step by step photo tutorial for you to master making your own.
Whichever method you choose, swirl some caramel in. Add in a pinch of salt.
Or you could just lick the spatula. I won’t judge.
If you’re looking for more buttercream inspiration, then be sure to download my 13 ways to flavor your buttercream cheatsheet!
Listed below are the affiliate links I included to make this caramel icing. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I do make a small commission but it costs you nothing extra. It just helps to keep this one woman blog in business 🙂
To Make This Caramel Frosting:
- Kitchen-aid Stand mixer – you can use a hand mixer but a stand mixer is going to make quick work of this icing and help make it fluffy in no time.
- Either jarred caramel sauce or homemade
- Dry measuring cups and measuring spoons
Easy Caramel Frosting
- 20 Tablespoons (283 grams) unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups (284 grams) Powdered (confectioners or icing) sugar
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons caramel sauce
- pinch of sea salt
- Combine the butter and confectioners sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer. Mix on low speed at first, then increase the speed until combined.
- Add in your heavy cream and vanilla extract, and mix on medium to high speed for 8 minutes until light and creamy.
- Stir in the caramel and final pinch of salt. If not using immediately, store in a container in the refrigerator until ready to use, mix again until light and fluffy.
- Enough for 24 cupcakes
- Can be made up to 5 days ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Get My Buttercream Cheatsheet!
Join the community to get the tips, tricks, and simple from scratch recipes so you can start baking delicious desserts today. PLUS I will send you my Buttercream Cheatsheet with 13 ways to flavor your buttercream!