How To Make Sugared Cranberries- just 3 ingredients to make these beautiful cranberries! Perfect for topping a pie, garnishing a cocktail,or even a little snack on the side this Christmas!
When it comes to the holidays, sometimes it’s the little touches that can go a long way. Like little sugared cranberries.
And when you have a to do list a mile long what you need is a quick recipe for sugared cranberries that will be the perfect topping for that pumpkin pie, a cupcake, maybe turn them into a quick appetizer. Maybe even a cocktail with these beautiful sparkling babies?
What Are Sugared Cranberries?
First we should probably make sure we are all on the same page, just what are sugared cranberries or sparkling cranberries as I’ve seen them be called as well.
Sugared (or sparkling) cranberries are cranberries that have essentially been rolled in sugar TWICE. The first time in a sugar water mixture that has been heated over the stove. Then the cranberries are left to dry on a cooling rack.
After they have dried about a half hour, they are rolled again in sugar. The first coating of sugar makes the cranberries super sticky which allows the sugar crystals on the second roll to adhere, making them all sparkly- hence the name.
What Are Sugared Cranberries Used For?
Just about anything you can dream up! I’ve seen them used for appetizers to drinks to desserts! Heck, they even make a tasty snack.
Top a cake with them. Or a pie. Or use in a Prosecco cocktail!
A little sweet and tart all at the same time. What’s not to love.
How Do You Make Sparkling Sugared Cranberries?
I broken down how to make these sparkling babies in a few simple steps with step by step photos!
Step 1: Heat 2 cups of sugar with 1 cup of water in a saucepan until just boiling and the sugar dissolves.
Step 2: Add in your 12 ounce bag of cranberries and remove from the heat. Stir the cranberries in the sugar water.
Step 3: Spread your cranberries onto a cooling rack set over a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Allow the cranberries to dry for 30-45 minutes.
Step 4: Roll the cranberries in additional sugar to give them that beautiful sparkling effect.
And there you go! Sparkling Sugared Cranberries ready for the party! And don’t forget to pin this recipe for later!
So whip up a batch of these cranberries, and keep them around for a festive touch during the holidays!
Until next time, happy baking!
Sparkling Sugared Cranberries
- 2 cups (396 grams) granulated white sugar divided
- 1/2 cup (118 grams) water
- 12 ounces (168 grams) fresh cranberries
- In a medium saucepan combine 1/2 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar. Heat over medium high heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Add in your cranberries and stir. Remove from the heat and let steep for 10 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove the cranberries to a cooling rack set over a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Allow to cool for about 1 hour.
- Roll the cranberries in the remaining 1/2 cup sugar. until well coated. Allow to dry again for 1 more hour. Enjoy!
- Reserve the liquid as a simple syrup to serve with cocktails!