Get ready for the big game with these Football cupcakes- I used vanilla cupcakes and a vanilla buttercream, but you could mix it up anyway you want. Top each one with an easy chocolate football on top for a treat that anyone will enjoy. No matter who plays or wins!
This post contains affiliate links. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
Living in the Boston area, you can imagine that Superbowl time is a pretty important time of year.
Me? Well I show up for the food. And the commercials. Who’s with me on that one?
And when it comes to a Superbowl party, I am known for bringing dessert of course. Raise your hand if you’re shocked. Hmm, no hands in the air. So I figured why not make some Football cupcakes?
How To Make These Football Cupcakes
For these cupcakes I made them using my easy vanilla cupcake recipe that comes together super easy.
I also used my perfect vanilla buttercream frosting. I simply tinted them green for the perfect “football green”.
The best part of these is you could really use any cupcake you want. Any buttercream you want.
Once those are made. then it’s time to make the footballs.
How To Make The Chocolate Footballs
Of course these cupcakes wouldn’t be cupcakes meant for the Superbowl without those cute little chocolate footballs on top. So I scoured the shelves high and low for this football candy mold. Ok, that’s a lie. I scoured Amazon. And struck gold with this mold that’s around $5.
To make the chocolate footballs, I simply melted some semi-sweet chocolate chips with a bit of shortening until melted and smooth. And that’s it! I simply spooned it into my molds.
Pro Tip: Pick up the mold and slap it down on the counter to get any air bubbles out.
I let them harden in the freezer for a few minutes. When you take them out, just flip them over and they will just pop right.
If you’re new to make cupcakes here are a few posts to help you out:
- 15 tips for perfect cupcakes
- Ultimate Guide To Decorating Cupcakes For Beginners
- Ultimate Guide To Making The Best Buttercream Icing
- 6 Reasons Why Your Cupcakes Are Sinking In The Middle
- 6 Cupcake Decorating Supplies You Need To Decorate Like A Pro
So wherever you live. Whoever you’re rooting for. Make these cupcakes. At least you know one thing will be a winner that day.
To Make These Football (Superbowl) Cupcakes You Will Need:
- Cupcake Liners
- Cupcake pans – I love these ones from Wilton
- Wilton Color Right System (you could also just use a green food coloring if you have it of course)
- football candy mold
- Rest of your measuring tools: dry measuring cups, measuring spoons, liquid measuring cup and mixing bowls.
If you like this cupcake decorating tutorial let me know by leaving me a comment and star rating below!
Make these football cupcakes for the Big game!
To Make The Chocolate Footballs
- 3/4 cup (128 grams) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
To Make The Cupcakes:
- 1 1/2 cups (180 grams) all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tbsp. (113 grams) unsalted butter melted, slightly cooled
- 1 cup (198 grams) granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 egg white room temperature
- 1/2 cup (114 grams) whole milk room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
To Make The Frosting:
- 1 1/4 cups (283 grams or 2 1/2 sticks, or 20 Tbs.) unsalted butter softened
- 2 1/2 cups (495 grams) confectioners sugar (powdered or icing)
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream or milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- green food coloring
To Make The Chocolate Footballs
In a microwaveable bowl, combine the chips and shortening. Microwave for 30 seconds and then stir.
Continue to heat in 30 second intervals and stirring in between each interval until melted.
Then pour into the mold. Give the mold a tap on the counter to release air bubbles.
To Make The Cupcakes:
Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line two cupcake pans with paper liners. Set asidee
In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk together and set aside.
Add the butter and sugar and whisk to combine. Mix in the eggs and egg white until incorporated. Stir in the milk and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and mixing just until incorporated.
Divide the batter between the prepared paper liners, filling each about 2/3 of the way full.
Bake 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pans 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Replace paper liners and bake remaining batter if desired. Frost cooled cupcakes as desired.
To Make The Buttercream:
Combine the butter and confectioners sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer.
Mix on low speed at first, then increase the speed until combined.
Add in your heavy cream and vanilla extract, and mix on medium to high speed for 8 minutes until light and creamy.
Tint with green food coloring until desired green color is reached. I used the Wilton 1M tip to pipe onto the cupcakes. Be sure to pipe the buttercream onto completely cooled cupcakes.
If not using immediately, store in a container in the refrigerator until ready to use, mix again until light and fluffy.
Get My Buttercream Cheatsheet!
Join the community to get the tips, tricks, and simple from scratch recipes so you can start baking delicious desserts today. PLUS I will send you my Buttercream Cheatsheet with 13 ways to flavor your buttercream!