So I gotta ask are you doughnut person? Or a donut person? Does it really matter? I suppose not when one of these apple cider donuts are staring you in the face. So a few weeks ago, I went apple picking and they were handing out free samples of apple cider doughnuts. Whole FREE doughnuts. Yup swoon. Ok, I might have had two free samples, but please don’t judge me. When I got home I knew I had to whip up my own batch. These doughnuts unlike the ones I had that day but they are baked, so that means they are healthy right? Sure. Let’s call them healthy.
When I set out to make these, I realized I already had a great apple cider doughnut muffin recipe on this blog from last year’s apple picking season. These little donut muffins were so light and fluffy, dipped in butter, and rolled in cinnamon sugar. So I took that same recipe and omitted the whole butter thing and just used my donut pan this time. My donut pan is one of my top 10 recommended baking pans I think every baker needs. If you really want to make these, and have no donut pan to your name, you could always use your muffin pan and call them apple cider muffins. Trust me, no one will care in the end once they bite into one of these bad boys.
These donuts are so light and fluffy and bursting with apple flavor. And the cinnamon sugar coating sends them over the edge. I seriously inhaled three immediately. I wish I was exaggerating to you. But I’m so not. They are that good.
To Make These Doughnuts You Will Need:
- Donut Pan
- Whisk (this is my new favorite whisk!)
- Cooling Rack
- Liquid Measuring Cup
- Dry Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Mixing bowls (I love my Pyrex mixing bowls)
More Apple Recipes To Check Out:
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 stick butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 nutmeg
- 1/4 cloves
- For the coating
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cinnamon
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two donut pans.
- 2. In one bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, both sugars, and spices. Stir to combine.
- 3. In another bowl, combine the milk, cider, applesauce, eggs and butter. Whisk to combine.
- 4. Add your wet ingredients to your dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Do NOT overmix.
- 5. Scoop the batter into each donut well and fill each about 3/4 cup full. Bake for about 10-12 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- 6. While they bake, combine 1/2 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons cinnamon in another bowl.
- 6. Allow to cool slightly on a cooling rack. Then take each donut and dip in the in the cinnamon sugar mixture.