This Post May Contain Affiliate Links. Please Read Our Disclosure Policy.
If you have a bag of cake flour that you bought but not sure how to use, then here are 41 recipes to use it up! Using cake flour in our baked goods will result in fluffy cakes with a tender crumb and worth using! There are cookie recipes, cake recipes, cupcake recipes, and even a bread recipe!
So you made a cake with cake flour and now you have this bag of cake flour in your pantry. What are you to do with it? Make more baked goods with it of course!
Cake flour is a wonderful ingredient to bake with and can make such a difference in your cakes! And it’s a specialty ingredient you really shouldn’t let go to waste!
41 Cake Flour Recipes
Here are 41 recipes that use cake flour so that bag of low protein flour doesn’t go to waste!
What is cake flour?
Cake flour is a flour with a soft texture that has a lower protein content that regular all purpose flour. This means that this flour will form less gluten when it becomes hydrated and mixed together. Gluten is what forms the structure in our cakes. The higher protein content a flour has, the denser and chewy our baked goods will come out to be.
So by having less gluten formation and lower protein content, our cakes made with cake flour will come out tender and more fluffy than if we used all purpose flour.
So I think it’s worth the splurge to buy some don’t you think?
Cake Flour Brands
There are two popular brands of cake flour that I find in my grocery stores. King Arthur cake flour and Swans Down cake flour are two of the most common brands to use.
I have used both and had success in using both!
Different Types Of Flour
Different flours have different types of protein contents. Here are the four most common types of flour you might see in the baking aisle:
- Bread Flour – Protein content of 12-14%, good for breads and pizza dough and creates chewy baked goods
- All-Purpose Flour: Protein content of 10-12%, good for all around baking
- Pastry Flour: Protein Content of 8-10%, good for biscuits, pastries and pie crust
- Cake Flour: Protein Content of 7-8%, good for cakes, cupcakes
You can read more here about the different types of flour here.
Cake Flour Substitute
If you want to bake a recipe that calls for cake flour but you don’t have on hand, then you make a quick substitute with just two simple ingredients – all purpose flour and cornstarch.
You can read more here and see a step by step tutorial on how to make a cake flour substitute.
To make a homemade cake flour recipe and make 1 cup of cake flour:
- Measure out 1 cup of all purpose flour.
- Remove 2 Tablespoons of flour.
- Add 2 tablespoons of cornstarch.
- Sift and use!
- Looking for an easy and simple carrot layer cake? Then look no further!
- Oreo frosting is what frosting dreams are made of! Any Oreo cookie lover in your life is going to go crazy for this recipe!
- Calling all peanut butter lovers with this super easy peanut butter cream cheese frosting to use on all your favorite cake recipes!
- This easy vanilla cupcake recipe uses melted butter so it comes together in minutes and no mixer is needed!
- When it’s summertime then you have to make these S’mores cupcakes with toasted meringue frosting and graham cracker bottom!