This post contains affiliate links, to find out more information, please read my disclaimer policy-https://www.bostongirlbakes.com/disclosure-policy/..
Happy Pi Day everyone! As a teacher and a baker I can’t help but celebrate the day…
If you are unfamiliar March 14th it is known as Pi day because the date represents the mathematical symbol for pi which equals 3.14…hence celebrated on 3/14!
Ok nerdy lesson over.
A brownie pie to be exact. And since we are also sneaking up on one of my favorite holidays- St. Patrick’s Day- I added in a green mint cream cheesecake swirl in the middle.
Mint and Brownies. Oh yea.
I used my favorite cocoa brownie recipe that is rich and gooey and simple to throw together. I made a batch and a half for this recipe to make enough to fill a 9-inch pie plate. I love these brownies because they are all made in one bowl and don’t use a bunch of different kinds of chocolate just simply cocoa powder.
A few baking tips:
- Be sure to use good quality cocoa powder since this is the key ingredient to these brownies and no other kind of chocolate is used.
- For the cream cheese layer, be sure to use softened cream cheese. I like to cut my cream cheese into smaller pieces and let sit out so it softens faster.
- For the pie crust you can use store-bought pie crust or go ahead and make your own. Not going to lie to you I used a store-bought pie crust this time. #noregrets
This brownie pie will satisfy your chocolate cravings, your mint chocolate cravings, and your pie cravings all in one dessert. 3 cravings killed in one dessert. #winning
Craving more mint and brownie desserts then you might like…
If you like this recipe, let me know and leave me a comment! I love hearing from you! And don’t forget to include the #bostongirlbakes if you share bake and share it on Instagram so I can see!
To make this recipe you will need:
*this post contains affiliate links
Mint Cream Cheese Brownie Pie
For the brownies
- 16 tablespoons 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder natural or Dutch-process
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cold large eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 single pie crust store-bought or home made
For the mint cream cheese layer
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon mint extract
- green food coloring optional
- 1.Prepare a single pie crust in a 9-inch pie plate. Use either pie weights or prick the bottom and sides of the crust with a fork. Bake pie crust at 350 for 10 minutes. I used a store bought pie crust for this recipe.
- 2. Make cream cheese layer: In your bowl of your stand mixer, cream the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until creamy. Add egg and mix until incorporated. Add the mint and food coloring. Mix until combine. Set aside
- 3. Make brownies: Combine the butter, sugar, cocoa, and salt in a medium heatproof bowl and set the bowl in a wide skillet of barely simmering water. Stir from time to time until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth and hot enough that you want to remove your finger fairly quickly after dipping it in to test. Remove the bowl from the skillet and set aside briefly until the mixture is only warm, not hot.
- 3.Stir in the vanilla with a wooden spoon. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring vigorously after each one. When the batter looks thick, shiny, and well blended, add the flour and stir until you cannot see it any longer, then beat vigorously for 40 strokes with the wooden spoon or a rubber spatula. Pour half of the batter into the pie pan. Layer with the cream cheese layer. Pour the rest of the brownie batter over. Smooth to cover up the cream cheese layer. Bake for 40-50 minutes. If the crust is beginning to brown, use a pie shield or cover with aluminum foil to prevent burning.