These creative hot chocolate recipes will have you sipping all winter long in style. With over 50 hot chocolate recipes to choose from, I know you’re going to fall in love with one of them and be sipping on hot chocolate all winter long.
When it’s the dead of winter I want nothing else but to curl up on my couch with some fuzzy socks on and big old cup of hot cocoa. Maybe topped with some homemade marshmallows? Or maybe a dollop of whipped cream on top.
So I’m not sure yet how cold this winter is going to be. And is Christmas going to be a white Christmas? Hmm, it’s not looking so good. But at some point I know that winter is going to pick up. Get cold, snowy and downright miserable. But you know what I have to say? Bring. It. On. Bring on the cold, Old Man Winter! I’ve got all these delicious unique hot chocolate recipes to keep me warm this winter.
50+ Creative Hot Chocolate Recipe To Sip On All Winter
Maybe you want to make it in your slow cooker and have a whole bunch of hot chocolate waiting for you after you’ve been out enjoying fun winter activities. Maybe you’re trying to shed some holiday pounds, and want a healthier version. How about kick it up a notch and make a boozy adults-only hot chocolate recipe? Or you’re just ready to mix up the classic hot cocoa version! Whatever your hot cocoa fancy I think one of these hot cocoa recipes will satisfy.
Creative Twists On The Classic Hot Chocolate
If you’re looking for a fun twist on your classic cup of hot cocoa then these 15+ creative twists have you covered! Maybe add in some Oreos, or peppermint, or spices? So many possibilities!
- Oreo Hot Chocolate– Oreo Hot Chocolate is the perfect Fall or Winter treat! This indulgent hot cocoa recipe begins and ends with OREO Cookies. So you know it’s good!
- Whipped Hot Chocolate -This easy whipped hot chocolate recipe is a fun way to make homemade cocoa extra special. Warmed milk is topped with an easy chocolate whipped cream and plenty of marshmallows for a rich and decadent cup of hot cocoa!
- Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate – A delicious hot chocolate recipe is the perfect way to warm up this fall, made with pumpkin spice and pumpkin puree!
- Cinnamon Caramel Hot Chocolate – This homemade hot chocolate recipe is made with a dash of cinnamon, an little caramel sauce for a comforting Fall cup of hot cocoa!
- Rose Hot Chocolate – This silky smooth rose hot chocolate is enriched with gentle rose and sweetened with rich dark muscovado sugar. Subtly sweet, bursting with flavour, and made within 5 minutes.
- Chai Hot Chocolate – Enjoy this thick and creamy homemade Chai Hot Chocolate made with real chocolate and simmered with chai spice for a cozy holiday drink! Top it with torched marshmallows and sip on this rich chocolatey winter drink by the fire.
- Nutella Hot Chocolate – If you love Nutella, this homemade hot chocolate is for you! Made on the stove top in just minutes, this creamy, Nutella Hot Chocolate recipe is perfect for warming up when its cold outside!
- Coconut Hot Chocolate – Creamy and luscious Coconut Hot Chocolate made with coconut milk and toasted coconut will be your new favorite hot drink this winter.
- Coffee Hot Chocolate – This creamy coffee hot chocolate is made with real chocolate and instant coffee. Then topped with a delicious homemade coffee whipped cream. Caffeinated hot chocolate is the perfect drink to start off your day!
- Single Serving Hot Cocoa – Single Serving Hot Cocoa made in one cup with just 3 ingredients is not only easy to make anytime you want to drink a cup of hot creamy cocoa with ingredients from your pantry or cupboard, but it’s a rich and delicious dark chocolate sweet treat.
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate – Peppermint Hot Chocolate is a decadent homemade hot chocolate pumped up with festive peppermint flavor. You can make this drink boozy or tame to serve anyone on your holiday guest list this year.
- Cinnamon Hot Chocolate – Cinnamon Hot Chocolate is a cozy and sweet warm winter drink with its creamy blend of cinnamon and chocolate.
- Italian Hot Chocolate – With this Italian Hot Chocolate recipe, you’ll learn to make the best hot chocolate you’ve ever had! It’s smooth, thick and decadent but so easy to make a home in just 10 minutes. Plus using non wheaten cornflour means you’ve got a gluten free indulgence.
- Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate – This Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate Recipe is creamy, chocolatey and bursting with peanut butter flavor! This easy homemade peanut butter hot cocoa is made with 6 ingredients in 10 minutes and is a delicious warm treat to enjoy after playing in the snow! It’s easily made vegan/dairy-free.
- Hot Chocolate On A Spoon – This delicious and easy DIY for hot chocolate on a spoon is a great gift or activity for a chilly afternoon!
- French Sipping Hot Chocolate – This French sipping chocolate only needs 4 ingredients and 10 minutes to make! It’s rich, intense, creamy, and incredibly decadent. It’s the best hot chocolate you’ll ever taste! Trust me – it tastes like heaven!
- Spicy Caramel Hot Chocolate – Nothing will warm you up better than a big mug of Caramel Spicy Hot Chocolate. This hot cocoa is flavored with caramel and spiced with some cayenne pepper.
- S’mores Hot Cocoa – Oh the weather outside is frightful, making this yummy drink even more delightful! This S’Mores Hot Cocoa is a perfect hot winter drink that is ideal for kids and adults alike with chocolate, marshmallows and graham cracker crumbs!
- Gingerbread Hot Cocoa– This hot cocoa version has it all. It’s mildly sweet, so you won’t be in a sugar coma 10 minutes later, it’s chocolaty, it’s creamy, and it’s gingerbready! It’s everything that is awesome this season! So cozy up with an over-sized blanket on the couch with a big steaming cup of gingerbread hot cocoa.
White Hot Chocolate Recipes
For those white chocolate lovers, these 8 white hot chocolate recipes got you covered! From strawberry, to peppermint, and even cheesecake white hot chocolate! So many fun varieties to try.
- Peppermint White Hot Chocolate -This hot chocolate is topped with whipped cream and crushed peppermint candy, is sweet, minty, and comforting and makes a wonderful holiday hot chocolate.
- White Hot Chocolate Recipe – This simple white chocolate hot chocolate recipe is quick to throw together and sure to please your family on a cold evening. It’s also perfect for parties!
- Strawberry White Hot Chocolate – If you are a fan of flavored hot chocolate, you will want to make this super easy Strawberry White Hot Chocolate. We make it with fresh strawberries and white chocolate chips. You can also add in a bit of red food coloring to make it a Pink Hot Chocolate that is perfect for a Valentine’s Day treat.
- Cheesecake Hot Chocolate – This white hot chocolate from scratch tastes just like cheesecake in a cup without having to wait for a whole cheesecake to bake. Cheesecake craving satisfied in 15 minutes? Done.
- Raspberry White Hot Chocolate – Snuggle up this winter with a cup of Raspberry White Hot Chocolate made from scratch. A delicious update to traditional hot chocolate, this yummy mixture will warm you up inside.
- Circus Animal Cookie White Hot Chocolate – This Circus Animal Cookie Hot Chocolate is made by using crushed Circus Animal Cookies steeped in milk and white chocolate. Don’t forget the marshmallows!
- Pink Velvet Hot Chocolate – Rich, sweet, and creamy pink velvet hot chocolate perfect for a chilly winter night or on Valentine’s Day!
- Spiked White Hot Chocolate – If you’re a fan of Rum Chata or Bailey’s, you’re gonna LOVE this Spiked White Hot Chocolate! Homemade hot chocolate made with just a few simple ingredients, along with your choice of your favorite creamy liqueur! Topped with whipped cream, white chocolate chunks and caramel this cocktail is decadent and delicious!
Boozy Hot Chocolate Recipes
Or maybe you want to make an adults only hot cocoa version? If you want your hot cocoa to come with a kick, then of these boozy hot chocolate recipes will definitely satisfy!
- Boozy Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate – This spiked peanut butter hot cocoa is one to try. Hot chocolate and whiskey are a tasty combination in this hot peanut butter drink.
- Dark Hot Chocolate With Amaretto – This rich dark hot chocolate with amaretto is the best creamy spiked alcoholic hot chocolate. Milk, dark chocolate, sugar and vanilla melted together. A shot of amaretto mixed in, topped with whipped cream, sliced almonds and chocolate sauce.
- Bailey’s Hot Chocolate -This Baileys hot chocolate is super-rich and only calls for 4 ingredients. It can also be made paleo and / or vegan with dairy-free milk and homemade Irish cream. Don’t like Baileys? Use another type of booze for a fun Christmas and New Year’s drink.
- Kahlua Hot Chocolate – This Kahlua Hot Chocolate is so rich, creamy, and BOOZY! This hot chocolate recipe is laced with coffee liqueur and topped with a Kahlua Whipped Cream and chocolate shavings.
- Red Wine Hot Chocolate – Pair up a cup of hot coco and your favorite red wine for a boozy hot mug that will definitely keep you warm all winter long!
- Hot Chocolate With Rum – Lumumba, aka hot chocolate with rum, is an absolute comfort drink for cold winter days. Whether to warm up after a winter walk or after a successful day of skiing on the mountain.
- Spiked Hot Chocolate – This amazing Spiked Hot Chocolate is made delicious with Godiva chocolate liqueur and bourbon. This is the best combination of liquor to compliment homemade smooth, rich hot chocolate. All you will need to make the best holiday season is a warm blanket, a roaring fireplace, holiday movies, and a mug of spiked hot chocolate!
- Boozy Caramel Hot Chocolate – This boozy hot chocolate with caramel vodka is simple to make on the stovetop and perfect for chilly winter nights.
- Spiked Peppermint Hot Chocolate – This Christmas, cozy up with a cup of this spiked peppermint hot chocolate. It’s quick and easy to stir up, and it’s guaranteed to awaken your senses.
- Spiked Butterscotch Hot Chocolate – Delicious and creamy hot chocolate, spiked with coffee liqueur and butterscotch schnapps to warm you head to toe!
Slow Cooker Hot Cocoa Recipes
If you want to come home to a mug of warm hot cocoa waiting for you then these slow cooker recipes are for you! Or if you’re throwing a party, a slow cooker full of hot chocolate is a wonderful way to serve lots of guests at once!
- Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate – Come in from playing in the snow to a hot mug of rich, creamy and delicious hot chocolate. Making it in the slow cooker means it’s super simple and hot and ready when you are.
- Instant Pot Hot Chocolate– This easy to make Instant Pot Hot Chocolate recipe is packed with intense chocolaty flavor. It’s considerably healthier than the sugary cocoa powder mixes you buy at the grocery store.
- Slow Cooker Peppermint Hot Chocolate – Slow Cooker Peppermint Hot Chocolate is the easy way to prepare rich, creamy hot chocolate. Top with whipped cream or marshmallows and crushed candy cane!
- Ultimate Crockpot Hot Chocolate Bar – This ultimate Crockpot hot cocoa recipe includes a classic hot cocoa recipe along with five fun hot cocoa flavor variations including tips for creating an adult hot cocoa bar with festive liqueurs. Set up a drink station they’ll remember with the delicious toppings ideas, too!
- Salted Caramel Crockpot Hot Chocolate – This creamy, decadent slow cooker salted caramel hot chocolate is the dream hot cocoa recipe. Super easy and so richly delicious, this salted caramel hot chocolate recipe has limited prep and fuss. Made with dark chocolate instead of milk or semi sweet chocolate, this hot cocoa recipe isn’t too sweet to enjoy with your favorite cookie.
- Mint Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate – This Mint Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate recipe is for the whole family to enjoy. It’s stays fresh and hot for hours in the slow cooker – which also makes it perfect for a party too. It’s so much easier than making it over the stove top – you’ll never go back to your old method, after you’ve tried this recipe.
- Slow Cooker Bailey’s Irish Cream Hot Chocolate – This Slow Cooker Baileys Irish Cream Hot Chocolate is creamy and has just the right amount of Irish cream, great for parties.
- Triple Chocolate Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate – Warm up with this indulgent 3-chocolate crockpot hot chocolate! Perfect for a chilly fall day or after a day spent outside in the winter.
- Slow Cooker Mexican Hot Chocolate – This slow cooker Mexican Hot Chocolate is Creamy, chocolate-y, cinnamon-y hot cocoa with a kick. It’s amazing, y’all!
Healthy Hot Chocolate Recipes
If you’re looking to enjoy your hot chocolate but keep it healthy, then look no further. These healthy hot chocolate recipes will feel indulgent, and no one has to know they are healthy!
- Keto, Paleo, Vegan Hot Chocolate – Made with just 5 simple ingredients this hot chocolate recipe is keto, paleo, and vegan!
- Vegan Mexican Hot Chocolate – This lightly spiced Mexican hot chocolate combines semisweet vegan chocolate with dairy-free milk – then lightly spiced with cinnamon and a hint of chili for a delicious winter warming drink! Prepare this spiced vegan hot chocolate using regular vegan chocolate or Ibarra Mexican chocolate tablets either on the stovetop or in a crockpot!
- Oat Milk Hot Chocolate (Vegan) – This homemade Oat Milk Hot Chocolate is such a quick and easy way to satisfy your sweet tooth. It’s dairy-free, vegan and only requires a couple of simple ingredients.
- Healthy Hot Chocolate – This sweet and creamy Healthy Hot Chocolate uses cacao powder, milk of choice, and is naturally sweetened with unrefined sweeteners! Even better, it requires just 4 ingredients and 5 minutes to prepare for a cozy, satisfying winter drink.
- Dairy Free Hot Chocolate – EASY, Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate! Made with almond milk, coconut milk, cocoa powder and dairy-free chocolate chips. This almond milk hot chocolate is creamy, thick and delicious. It will warm you right up!
- Healing Tahini Hot Chocolate – On those blustery winter days, cozy up under a warm blanket with a good book and a mug of Healing Tahini Hot Chocolate. This healthy cocoa recipe is gluten-free, vegan, paleo, and top 8 allergen free. This winter beverage with healing spices like turmeric will warm the body, mind, and soul!
- Dairy Free Peppermint Hot Chocolate – This velvety peppermint hot chocolate is just the thing to warm you up on a frosty evening. Made with cacao and no added sugar, it feels indulgent but doubles as a healthy paleo dessert!
- Low Carb Hot Cocoa – This recipe for low carb hot cocoa mix is perfect for a hot drink that is keto friendly. This homemade hot chocolate is made with almond milk, whipping cream and cocoa powder.
- Turmeric Hot Chocolate – Smooth and incredibly creamy, this superfood Turmeric Hot Chocolate is one delicious healthy drink. It’s packed with powerful antioxidants and immune-boosting ingredients, as well as luxurious dark chocolate flavor. Perfect warming drink good throughout all seasons.
- Keto White Hot Chocolate – This Keto White Hot Chocolate offers a comforting way to indulge in a sweet and dairy-free wintertime treat without the sugar overload.
So which hot chocolate recipe are you going to make next? If you want to stick with the classic hot cocoa recipe, then try my hot cocoa recipe below and put your own special twist on it!
50+ Creative Hot Chocolate Recipes To Enjoy All Year Long
- 6 Tablespoons (32 g) Dutch process cocoa powder *see note
- ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (240 ml) water
- 3 cups (720 ml) milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (60 ml) heavy cream (or half-n-half)
- Stir cocoa, sugar, salt, and water together. In a medium saucepan, whisk together the cocoa powder, sugar, salt, and water together over low heat until smooth. Heat for 2 minutes, whisking continuously.
- Add milk and heat. Stir in the milk, and increase the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally. Continue to cook for about 12 to 15 minutes until you see steam rise from the surface, and bubbles form around the edge. Do not let the mixture boil.
- Add vanilla and cream. Stir in the vanilla and the heavy cream. Remove from the heat and pour the mixture into mugs and serve.
- Cocoa Powder – I use and recommend Dutch cocoa powder because it’s less acidic and creates a richer cocoa. But you can use natural cocoa powder, but you may want to adjust the sweetness if you do.
- Milk – You can make this richer by using full-fat milk, but I prefer low-fat milk to lighten it up a bit.
- Heavy Cream – This adds creaminess and richness. I tried it with both half-n-half and heavy cream and preferred the richness of heavy cream. But you can always lighten it up a bit with half-n-half.
- Flavoring: Try adding in a little peppermint extract, or dash of cinnamon, a drizzle of homemade caramel sauce wouldn’t be too bad either! Servings: You can cut this recipe in half if you want and make less servings.
- Hot Cocoa Mix: If you want you can make a batch of the dry ingredients (cocoa powder, powdered sugar, and salt) and keep in a bag and then store to have on hand. Then just make the recipe as directed. I would recommend making a double or triple batch to have on hand. Store in a cool, dry place.