With four simple ingredients and your food processor you can have a homemade Nutella to spread on toast, graham crackers, or just eat straight from the jar. Hey, no judgement here.
Ok the first time I tried Nutella I was in my 20’s. I know. So sad. So many years wasted.
My sister opened my eyes to it and I have never gone back.
But when I learned I could make it myself. Um, game changer! And the best part is it only takes 4 ingredients. Oh my thighs have been warned.
Ingredients for homemade Nutella
- Powdered Sugar
- Cocoa powder
- Coconut Oil
Ok and a little bit of salt. So maybe that’s five ingredients? Seriously that’s it.
How to make homemade Nutella – step by step
First things first. Roast those hazelnuts.
I had on hand chopped hazelnuts, but I would recommend using whole hazelnuts. Why, you ask? Great question. The idea behind roasting them is to not only bring out the flavor of the nuts but also to help make the removal of the skins a little easier.
I used chopped hazelnuts because that’s what I had on hand, but found the skins were a little pesky to remove. Is getting the skins off necessary? Well, no. However, it does make for a smoother nutella. So mine wasn’t quite as smooth as I would have liked but still delicious.
To get the skins off the hazelnuts you could use this dishtowel method or the boiling method, both explained in more detail here on My Baking Addiction’s blog.
Blend the hazelnuts
Ok so now it’s time to bust out your food processor!
You want to blend those hazelnuts until they become something resembling peanut butter. This is going to take a few minutes. Don’t give up on them, they will begin to transform before your eyes. Maybe you could unload the dishwasher or take the trash out while you’re waiting. Yea, I didn’t think so. Feel free to browse on Pinterest instead. Much better.
Add the rest of the ingredients
You ready for the next really difficult step? Throw in the rest of your ingredients and blend away. Seriously. That’s it.
Oh my goodness look at all that yummy goodness. Just begging to be spread on toast- er – gluten free toast, dipped in strawberries, and maybe used to make some stellar no bake nutella fudge. Whatever you choose to do with it, you will love it. The homemade version has a wonderful pure hazelnut flavor that is much richer tasting than the stuff in the store. Homemade is always 150% better isn’t it?
Four ingredient homemade nutella. Oh and it’s gluten free of course.
If you whip up this recipe, let me know by leaving a comment! And do you have any got to try gluten free recipes for me? Let me know! Happy baking everyone!
- 2 cups (284 g) whole hazelnuts
- 1 cup (113g) powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup (28 g) unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Roast your hazelnuts in a single layer at 350F degrees on a parchment lined cookie sheet for 5 minutes.
- Remove the skins by covering them in a moistened clean dishtowel, letting them sit for 5-10 minutes, and then rubbing the dishtowel vigorously. This may take a few minutes and some muscle! Some skins may still remain, it's ok.
- In your food processor, blend your hazelnuts until it becomes a creamy paste- resembling peanut butter - this can take up to 5 minutes.
- Add in the rest of your ingredients and pulse to combine until creamy and smooth. Store in an airtight container on your counter for two weeks.
- Instead of melted coconut oil you can use another neutral oil such as vegetable or canola.
Comments & ReviewsType your question or comment below, and tap "Post Comment". I welcome constructive criticism, but please be respectful. Rude or inappropriate comments will not be published. Thank you!
Baking isn't always easy! So if you had any issues, I'd appreciate the chance to help you troubleshoot before you rate.