This post contains affiliate links, to find out more information, please read my disclaimer policy-https://www.bostongirlbakes.com/disclosure-policy/..
Learn how to make Hydrangea cupcakes in this tutorial! These beautiful flower cupcakes are easier to make than you think. Watch the video to learn how.
Oh hello pretty cupcake. How do you do? Spring has sprung. So I thought why not celebrate with a pretty little cupcake with flowers on top?
Now I know when it comes to making pretty buttercream flower cupcakes it can be well intimidating. But let me put you at ease with these hydrangea cupcakes.
They really are easy to make. No really, I promise you 😉
How To Make These Hydrangea Cupcakes
After trying my hand at using Russian Flower Tips, I wanted to make more buttercream flower cupcakes.
These hydrangea cupcakes are made using a closed star tip like this one Wilton 2d Tip.
You want to first start by filling your piping bag with two colors. Take your spatula and fill one side of your piping bag with one color and do the same with the second color on the other side of your piping bag. To learn how to make multi-colored frosting, check out this post.
Start by piping on the outside of the cupcake work your way in. Hold the tip directly above the cupcake and squeeze from the top of your piping bag.
Then stop squeezing and pull directly away. Continue to pipe flowers around the cupcake. For a full tutorial watch the video below.
Tips For Perfect Hydrangea Cupcakes
- Your hands will warm up the frosting in your piping bag, so try to hold the piping bag at the top. If you find the flowers are not holding their shape after awhile, then simply placing your frosting bag in the fridge to firm up for 5 minutes.
- Pipe the flowers close together. You can always go back and fill in with more flowers or pipe a second row on top to make the cupcakes look more full and realistic.
What Type Of Buttercream Is Best?
I used my favorite vanilla buttercream.
What Type Of Cupcake Should I Use?
A chocolate cupcake recipe would also make the colors of the flowers pop.
If you’re new to making and decorating cupcakes then check out these posts to get you started:
- Cupcakes Sinking In The Middle
- 6 Cupcake Decorating Supplies You Need To Decorate Like A Pro
- Ultimate Guide To Baking Cupcakes At Home
- Ultimate Guide To Making The Best Buttercream Icing
- Ultimate Guide To Decorating Cupcakes For Beginners
- Cupcakes 101: 10 Tips To Bake Perfect Cupcakes (Life As A Strawberry)
- How To Bake Perfect Cupcakes (Handle The Heat)
- 10 Tips For Baking The BEST cupcakes (Sally’s Baking Addiction)
So grab a piping bag and let’s make some pretty hydrangea cupcakes to celebrate that Spring is here!
If you love this cupcake tutorial, be sure to let me know by leaving a star rating and comment below. As always happy baking!