This Post May Contain Affiliate Links. Please Read Our Disclosure Policy.
These Nutella cheesecake bars are made from 9 simple and readily available ingredients. They can look intimidating but these delicious snacks are very easy and quick to make. In just a few minutes, you will have a tasty and flavorful dessert you can proudly serve to your family and friends!
I think I have my new favorite dessert. These bars. These heavenly Nutella cheesecake bars.
There are many baking recipes where Nutella is one of the main ingredients and for good reason. Nutella has that rich hazelnut flavor that can’t be beat. You can add it to most baked goods and make them taste delicious. Or just grab a spoon and a piece of toast, if you’re in a pinch.
Believe it or not, I went through most of my life NOT having Nutella in it. I know, it’s awful. My sister would be the one to introduce me to the wonder that the chocolate hazelnut spread. One taste and I was in love.
That’s why Nutella became one of the staple products in our pantry. I used it as a spread or for some of my recipes like bread, brownies, fudges, cookies, scones, cupcakes, and more. Yes I’ve made up for all those lost years.
But I haven’t used Nutella to make creamy cheesecake bars before. How have I not done so? After one bite, and I knew this Nutella cheesecake bars recipe was a winner. Let’s just say I froze most of the bars immediately, to basically stop myself from eating them all. So you’ve been warned.
- These German chocolate cheesecake bars are made with an Oreo cookie crust and coconut pecan frosting.
- Sopapilla cheesecake bars are a sweet cheesecake bar dusted with cinnamon sugar, made with puff pastry and drizzled with honey just like the real treat!
- If you can’t resist a Butterfinger candy bar, then these Butterfinger cheesecake bars are calling your name!
Why You’ll Love These Nutella Cheesecake Bars
- Only Needs 9 Ingredients – For this Nutella cheesecake bars recipe, you only 9 ingredients that are readily available in most grocery stores.
- Perfect Make Ahead Dessert – You can make these delicious Nutella cheesecake bars ahead and chill. It needs at least 4 hours to chill before serving.
- Quick And Easy To Make – To prepare these Nutella cheesecake bars, you will consume 20 minutes of prep time and 40 minutes of cook time.
To make the cheesecake bars, you will need the following ingredients:
For Oreo Cookie Crust
- Oreo cookies – If you don’t have Oreo cookies, you can use vanilla wafers or use graham crackers and make a graham cracker crust.
- Melted Butter – To bind the graham cracker crust together.
For Cheesecake Filling
- Nutella – If you don’t have Nutella spread, you can make one yourself with this 4-Ingredient Homemade Nutella guide.
- Cream Cheese – I used full-fat cream cheese for this Nutella cheesecake bars recipe. Low-fat cream cheese can be used but it will not give the thick and creamy cheesecake layer. It should be at room temperature. Always choose blocks and not tub types. It will make your cheesecake batter silkier, smoother, and creamier.
- Eggs – Should be at room temperature. Place cool eggs in a bowl with warm water for 10 minutes.
- Vanilla Extract – I used pure vanilla extract for this cheesecake bars recipe. You can also use imitation vanilla extract or make homemade vanilla extract.
- Granulated Sugar – To add sweetness to your cheesecake mixture.
- Heavy cream – To thicken and add richness. You can also swap with sour cream.
For The Nutella Ganache
- Heavy cream
- Chocolate – You can use semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate bars, chopped or chocolate chips
How To Make Nutella Cheesecake Bars
Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature before you start mixing. For better taste, chill Nutella cheesecake bars before serving.
1. Preheat And Prepare
Preheat oven to 325°F/162°C.
Prepare your 8 x 8-inch baking pan by lining it will parchment paper with sides hanging for easy removal.
2. Make Crust
To make the Oreo cookie crumbs, add the Oreo cookies to your food processor or blender with hazelnut (optional). Pulse until you reach a fine crumb texture. Transfer to a medium bowl. Combine with melted unsalted butter to get a buttery graham cracker crust.
Transfer to the prepared pan, spread evenly, and press using your fingers, the back of a spoon, or the bottom of a measuring cup.
3. Create The Cream Cheese Mixture
Reduce oven heat to 325°F/162°C.
Using your electric mixer with a paddle attachment, beat cream cheese and add sugar and beat for 2 minutes. Scrape the sides of your bowl to ensure your cheesecake filling is smooth without lumps.
Add vanilla extract and heavy cream and mix.
Add eggs, one at a time. Mix well before adding another one.
Add the Nutella and beat until smooth. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
4. Transfer Cheesecake Batter
Pour the Nutella cheesecake mixture into the cooled crust. Even it out using a rubber spatula.
5. Bake, Cool, And Chill
Bake for about 40 to 45 minutes or until the sides have set and the center is slightly wobbly. It will set and form while it cools down.
Remove from the oven and set aside. Let Nutella cheesecake bars cool completely at room temperature for 1 hour. Then, place the whole Nutella swirl cheesecake bars in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
6. Make Nutella Ganache
Place chocolate chips and Nutella into a small bowl.
Heat heavy cream in a small bowl in the microwave until hot and steaming, but not boiling. Or you can do this in a saucepan.
Remove from the heat and add to the bowl of Nutella and chocolate chips. Do not stir for 5 minutes. Then whisk until smooth. Pour over the baked, cooled cheesecake bars. Spread to the edges with an offset spatula.
Refrigerate for 15 minutes until firm. Lift the Nutella cheesecake bars by holding the seams of the parchment paper. Cut into squares and serve.
- Use a different cookie – Instead of Oreo cookies you can use graham crackers, Nilla wafers, or Golden Oreos. If using graham crackers or Nilla wafers I like to add 2 Tablespoons sugar.
- Hazelnuts – You can toast and chop hazelnuts and add them to the crust, or simply sprinkle on top of the bars when servings.
- More crunch! If you want added crunch on your Nutella cheesecake bars, add chocolate chips, hazelnuts, walnuts, or pecans to the cheesecake batter.
- Serve with fresh berries and whipped cream – You can turn these Nutella cheesecake bars into a fancy dessert by serving with a side of fresh berries and homemade whipped cream!
- Always make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature. Cold or frozen ingredients are harder to mix and can lead to overmixing and lumps in the Nutella cheesecake bars.
- For clean and easy cutting, dip your knife into hot water, wipe, and slice.
Transfer Nutella cheesecake bars to an airtight container and place them in your fridge. It can last up to 5 days in your refrigerator.
Yes, you can freeze Nutella cheesecake bars. Just make sure your Nutella cheesecake bars are cool completely before freezing. Wrap individual squares with plastic wrap twice, place them in a freezer-safe container, or put them in a freezer-safe bag. Just make sure to remove as much air as possible to avoid freezer burn. It can last up to 2 months.
To thaw frozen cheesecake bar, place in the refrigerator overnight.
You can soften cream cheese with a microwave or by placing it in warm water. You can also use this How To Soften Cream Cheese Guide to help you through the process.
More Recipes To Try
Nutella Cheesecake Bars
For the crust:
- 18 Oreo cookies
- 5 tablespoons (71 g) unsalted butter, melted
For the buckeye cheesecake bars:
- 16 ounces (2 packages, 454g) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) heavy cream, oom temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup (270 g) Nutella
For the chocolate topping:
- 1/2 cup (135 g) Nutella
- 2 Tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) heavy cream
Make cookie crust:
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (162°C). Line a 8×8-inch square baking pan with tin foil or parchment paper. Spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a food processor, crush Oreo cookies into crumbs. Place crumbs into a small mixing bowl. Stir in melted butter until a crumbly mixture forms.
- Press the oreo crust mixture into the bottom and slightly up the sides of the prepared pan. Set aside.
Make Nutella cheesecake bars:
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or you can do this in a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer) beat the cream cheese and sugar together on medium speed until smooth.
- Add in the heavy cream, salt and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Add in the eggs one at a time and beat until incorporated.
- Beat in the Nutella and beat on low speed until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Pour filling on top of the crust. Bake in the preheated 325°F oven, for 40-45 minutes, until the edges are set but the middle of the bars are still soft in the center. The bars will continue to firm up as they cool.
- Remove the bars from the oven, and cool at room temperature for 30 minutes. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm. Once cheesecake bars have cooled, top with chocolate ganache.
Make Nutella ganache:
- Place chocolate chips and Nutella in a small bowl.
- Heat cream in a saucepan over medium heat until simmering, but not boiling (or you can heat in the microwave). Pour hot cream over the chocolate chips and Nutella. Let sit for 5 minutes, do not stir.
- After 5 minutes, whisk until smooth.
- Pour over cooled cheesecake bars before serving. Smooth with spatula if necessary. Transfer to the refrigerator until set, about 15 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve.
- Storage: Transfer the cheesecake bars to an airtight container. It will be easier to store them if they are already cut into bars. To ensure they don’t stick together, place a parchment paper before placing another layer of cheesecake bars. It can last for 5 to 7 days in the fridge.
- Freezing: Yes, you can freeze these Nutella cheesecake bars. Just make sure they are cool completely before freezing. To freeze the cheesecake bars, wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and aluminum foil, and then place it inside a sealed freezer bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible to prevent drying and freezer burns. It can last up to 3 months in your freezer. And when you are ready to serve, transfer to your fridge and leave it overnight to thaw.
- Oreo substitute: If you don’t have Oreos or want to try something new, you can use graham crackers, vanilla wafers, or chocolate cookie crumbs to make the crust. I like to add 2-3 tablespoons of sugar if using graham crackers.
- Heavy cream: You can substitute with sour cream.