This Post May Contain Affiliate Links. Please Read Our Disclosure Policy.
This quick and easy cherry dump cake recipe only needs 4 simple ingredients and 10 minutes of prep time. It is a delicious and flavorful dessert perfect for parties and everyday snacks. Serve it warm, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, and enjoy.
I am always on the lookout for quick and easy dessert recipes. You can never tell when surprise visitors and guests will come. It is always best to be prepared. In these instances, a mixed berry cobbler or peach blueberry cobbler is the perfect dessert. But I can’t always serve the same desserts and snacks to my guests! That’s when I turn to a super quick and easy dump cake recipe!
This cherry dump cake only needs 4 simple ingredients and 10 minutes of prep time. While it bakes in the oven, you can clean up quickly and mingle with your friends or do your chores. In about 50 to 55 minutes, you have a tasty and flavorful dessert you can serve and enjoy.
The best part about this easy recipe from other dump cake recipes is its versatility. You can replace the cherry filling with your favorite canned pie fillings or what you have in your pantry! Or make individual cherry dump cakes for your party. Just adjust the recipe and prepare more in small ramekins! Possiblities are endless with this dessert. Oh and did I mention how easy it was? I did? Ok so then let’s get to go the good part.
Let’s start and make this delicious dessert!
- Pucker up and enjoy one of these homemade lemon cookies with easy lemon glaze drizzled over them!
- Coconut macaroons are an easy gluten free chewy coconut cookie. Dip in chocolate for an easy chocolate treat!
- Grab a jar of peanut butter and make these wonderfully easy old fashioned peanut butter cookies with criss cross pattern on top!
- Make these brown sugar chocolate chips cookies made with 100% brown sugar making them wonderfully chewy!
What Is A Dump Cake?
Basically, dump cake recipes are where all ingredients are dumped into a baking dish and baked. There’s no mixing or batter preparation involved before baking. Usually, there’s no need to chop or slice ingredients in making dump cakes. They are convenient and perfect desserts for busy people or those in need of quick but hassle-free snacks.
Why You’ll Love This Cherry Dump Cake
- Quick And Easy – To make this delicious dessert, all you need to do is combine ingredients and bake. Serve warm, top with vanilla ice cream, and enjoy!
- Perfect For Parties – Prepare cherry dump cake ahead, warm it up before serving, top it with vanilla ice cream, and serve. Plus, this cherry dump cake recipe makes around 16 servings (generous servings!) .
- 4 Ingredients Only – All the ingredients I used are usually available in most grocery stores.
- No Electric Mixer Required – I only used a baking dish, bowl, and spoon for this cherry dump cake recipe.
Here are the ingredients needed for this cherry dump cake recipe:
- Canned Cherry Pie Filling – I used 2 cans of cherry pie filling for this recipe. I love the cherries that’s why I used a lot of them to make my cherry dump cake. It pairs well with vanilla ice cream and almond extract.
- Yellow Cake Mix – I used a vanilla cake mix for this recipe but you can also use other premade cake mix like chocolate cake mix and make a chocolate cherry dump cake.
- Almond Extract – This is optional. But I love the flavor combination of cherry pie filling and almond. That’s why I included it. You can also use pure, imitation, or homemade vanilla extract if you’re not a fan of almond. Follow the Homemade Vanilla Extract Recipe.
- Melted Butter – I used salted butter. It gives the cherry dump cake a buttery and rich flavor.
How To Make Cherry Dump Cake
1. Preheat Oven And Prepare Baking Dish
Move the rack to the center of the oven. Preheat oven to 350°F/177°C.
Lightly grease your 9 x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray (or you can use butter).
2. Dump All Ingredients
Dump two cans of cherry pie filling into the prepared baking dish. Pour and stir almond extract, if you’re using it. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to spread the fruit filling out.
Sprinkle your dry cake mix evenly over your cherry filling.
Then, pour melted butter over the yellow cake mix without mixing. Don’t stir the melted butter. The butter may not cover all of the cake mix and that’s ok!
Bake cherry dump cake in the preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes or until the top turns golden brown.
4. Serve And Enjoy
Remove from the oven and serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Enjoy!
- Different Cake Mix – I used yellow cake mix for this dump cake but you can also use other boxed cake mix like white cake mix, chocolate cake mix, etc.
- Other Pie Fillings – Aside from cherry pie filling, you can use other fruit filling like apple pie filling, peach pie filling, blueberry pie filling, and more.
- Toppings – This dump cake recipe is versatile. You can top it with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, shredded coconut, chocolate chips, chopped toasted nuts, and more. You can also make a crumble with chopped pecans, butter, and brown sugar.
- Add cherry juice – For more cherry flavor you can stir in 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice.
- Add canned pineapple – Make a popular twist and add crushed pineapple to the cherry filling to help cut the sweetness!
- Fresh Fruits – Add in some fresh fruit like blueberries, pineapples, strawberries, blackberries to the filling.
- Replace Almond Extract – If you run out of almond extract, you can use other extracts like vanilla, lemon, cherry, and strawberry, or remove it entirely.
Wrap the baking dish with plastic wrap or transfer leftover cherry dump cake to an airtight container and place it in the fridge. It can last in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
To reheat cherry dump cake, transfer it to a microwave-safe container and pop it in the microwave. Heat for 30 seconds or until warm.
Yes, you can freeze leftover cherry dump cake for up to 3 months. Wrap the baking dish with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. Place in the freezer. To defrost or before reheating, transfer to the fridge and thaw overnight. For more help on how to freeze all your baked goods and desserts, check out my Freezer Baking Guide!
Yes, you can use crock pot to make this cherry dump cake. Just dump all the ingredients and cook on high for 2 hours in your crock pot.
There are no raw eggs in making this cherry dump cake. Basically, you are just heating up all the ingredients. That’s what makes this so convenient! When the top turns golden brown, your dump cake is ready. But if you want a very crispy crust, bake it a little longer but don’t leave your oven. Watch it until you get the color and crispy crust you want.
Cherry dump cake should be served warm. But if you want to extend its shelf life, you can put it in the fridge. Just reheat it before serving.
More Recipes To Try
Cherry Dump Cake
- 30 ounces (two 15-ounce cans) cherry pie filling
- 1 teaspoon almond extract optional
- 1 box yellow cake mix *see note
- 12 Tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks, 170 g) salted butter melted
- Prep oven. Position a rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350°F (177℃). Lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray (or use butter).
- Add cherries and almond extract. Dump two cans of cherry pie filling into the baking dish. Stir in the almond extract if using. Spread out the filling with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Add cake mix. Sprinkle the dry cake mix evenly over the cherry mixture.
- Add butter. Pour the melted butter evenly over the cake mix. Do not stir. Some of the cake mix may not be covered but it’s ok.
- Bake the cake. Bake in center of the preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes until the top is golden brown. Remove from the oven. Serve immediately with ice cream or allow to cool and serve.
- Almond extract: can omit or swap with vanilla extract.
- Salted butter: Can use unsalted and just add a pinch of salt to the melted butter.
- Variations: Can add a can of crushed pineapple. Add ¼ cup maraschino Cherry juice for more flavor.
- Cake mix: I used vanilla cake mix, but you can swap and use a chocolate cake mix and make a chocolate cherry dump cake.
- Doneness: It can be difficult to determine, you may see some wet spots and some crispy spots. This is normal.
- Storage: Cover and store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days. Leftovers can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and then warm up in the oven or microwave before serving.